Carrying your stamp with you?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Priceless!

Just for my info. Has anybody ever been checked? Who would be the Authority that has the legal right to question a holder?

I fully understand the ramifications of being caught without the proper paperwork, just wondering if anybody has been checked and by who.

As I understand and I could be wrong, (and if I am, I'm sure someone will be along to correct me). The forms are a tax document and not "required" to be presented to anyone other than IRS or BATFE.

Now it can save a lot of problems to allow any LEO that may be interested or range personnel, but that's the info I got when I started playing the NFA game.

I have copies of all of mine laminated and stored in a pocket on the bottom of my range bag.

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
From what I've read the only individual you might have to produce them for is someone from the ATF or maybe the IRS.

But ranges may not let you shoot without them, and depending on his mood a police officer could make your day very hard.

JJ Hiryuu

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Originals go in the safe. I made full color scans and had them printed and laminated for bringing along to the range. Technically your stamp is nobody's business but the ATF since it's a tax document and not a permission slip...BUT...most ranges will not let you shoot your NFA item without letting them verify you have a stamped form with a serial number that matches the NFA item you brought along. You can choose not to show them or bring one, but they can choose to not allow you use of their range.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Originals go in the safe. I made full color scans and had them printed and laminated for bringing along to the range. Technically your stamp is nobody's business but the ATF since it's a tax document and not a permission slip...BUT...most ranges will not let you shoot your NFA item without letting them verify you have a stamped form with a serial number that matches the NFA item you brought along. You can choose not to show them or bring one, but they can choose to not allow you use of their range.

Cool. Our range, won't check you. We don't have the credentials to even ask.

I'm wondering now how ranges that do can justify it? Can the BATF come back on a range that has an unlicensed silencer shooter on the property for some reason?

Most ranges don't have a gate to check in with a range official. They have a gate combination or key, so how could the range be held liable?

If they can't, why would ranges even ask?

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Originals go in the safe. I made full color scans...

Interesting you mention that ... I have nothing to "scan" on my Form 1's ... they were done digitally and all I got back from ATF was an email notification so I could download and print them out. There's an "image" of a stamp on the front of the form with a hand written number, but I have no physical stamp. Just by way of saying that apparently means that digital copies are as "legit" as original hard copies if it ever comes down to it.

DavidWOwens

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting you mention that ... I have nothing to "scan" on my Form 1's ... they were done digitally and all I got back from ATF was an email notification so I could download and print them out. There's an "image" of a stamp on the front of the form with a hand written number, but I have no physical stamp. Just by way of saying that apparently means that digital copies are as "legit" as original hard copies if it ever comes down to it.
I submitted mine online as well, still waiting unfortunately....

This thread is great! A lot of useful input

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom