Carrying your stamp with you?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Always carry a copy of your paperwork and be prepared to show it to LEO's.
Especially full autos because they make a lot of noise and someone is bound to call the cops if not on a regular range.
Failure to do so gets you a trip to the county lock-up and NFA item confiscated.
Or at least held until someone can show up with a copy of the paperwork.

Can't show paperwork then your in possession of contraband. "An unregistered NFA device".

I know a couple people who are or were members here that this has happened to.
Their wives showed up with the papers before they were taken downtown and they were on their way with their guns.
Both were driving pick-ups and had the guns in the front seat and were stopped for speeding.

As far as ranges go , most indoor ranges will ask to see paperwork. They don't want to be on the 6 o'clock news
if something happens.
Remember the next time you go shooting, the guy standing next to you could be a BATF agent. Has happened locally.

DavidWOwens

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Always carry a copy of your paperwork and be prepared to show it to LEO's.
Especially full autos because they make a lot of noise and someone is bound to call the cops if not on a regular range.
Failure to do so gets you a trip to the county lock-up and NFA item confiscated.
Or at least held until someone can show up with a copy of the paperwork.

Can't show paperwork then your in possession of contraband. "An unregistered NFA device".

I know a couple people who are or were members here that this has happened to.
Their wives showed up with the papers before they were taken downtown and they were on their way with their guns.
Both were driving pick-ups and had the guns in the front seat and were stopped for speeding.

As far as ranges go , most indoor ranges will ask to see paperwork. They don't want to be on the 6 o'clock news
if something happens.
Remember the next time you go shooting, the guy standing next to you could be a BATF agent. Has happened locally.

Does electronic proof work the same as physical paperwork, in your opinion?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chief Sapulpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where they bust the sod in South Tulsa County.
Just for my info. Has anybody ever been checked? Who would be the Authority that has the legal right to question a holder?

I fully understand the ramifications of being caught without the proper paperwork, just wondering if anybody has been checked and by who.

As I understand it only an ATF agent can ask for proof. If a LEO asked I would show it just to avoid any grief.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does electronic proof work the same as physical paperwork, in your opinion?
In this day of modern technology its fine. The incidents I mentioned were pre - smartphone. (1990's)
I don't really count on "electronic" documents being acceptable, even hard copy. I had a run-in with the IRS where I provided them computer printouts as documentation of transactions and was told "anyone can print anything out on a computer" and had to track down someone I'd not had contact with for five years to get them to wet-sign the printouts. This is also why I'm not particularly fond of the BATF's methods of not sending a physical stamp for online-submitted Form 1's - given the government's history with data loss there's no telling what might happen to the electronic "original" from their server(s).

DavidWOwens

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't really count on "electronic" documents being acceptable, even hard copy. I had a run-in with the IRS where I provided them computer printouts as documentation of transactions and was told "anyone can print anything out on a computer" and had to track down someone I'd not had contact with for five years to get them to wet-sign the printouts. This is also why I'm not particularly fond of the BATF's methods of not sending a physical stamp for online-submitted Form 1's - given the government's history with data loss there's no telling what might happen to the electronic "original" from their server(s).

Right! Has anyone contacted them, and asked why they no longer send the physical stamp?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anybody can demand to see your papers. Okla state law follows fed law pretty much. So since it would also be against Okla state law to possess an unregistered nfa device any LEO including Game Wardens can ask to see your papers. (must be lawfully registered to hunt with)
After your processed they would call the BATF and see if they would want to file additional charges

Latest posts

Top Bottom