Cattle prod

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
#METOO. Looks like the perfect thing for my bride on her walks around the neighborhood. She has the spray right now, but after hearing from our past dog catcher, it sounds like she is under armed.

You can be under-armed in just about any situation. I had to take a 200lb cane corso on face to face before.. I took a double handed swing at him with my asp expandable baton... stepped into it and everything, swinging for the bleachers. it only distracted him long enough for me to step back and my partner to get to him. I do think a good ol walking stick or hike n strike is a good place to start though. pepper spray is only good for undetermined dogs and people.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Whatever man. Enjoy your post

Not that I feel to much of a need to explain myself to you but I have been around dogs my whole life, mostly good ones but a couple bad ones . I have been attacked and when a dog is going after you you know it . This one was going for my dog and. When I pushed its head down it still did not go after me so, I was there you were not.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
+1... I love dogs too, but when my BiL's 8 year old healer suddenly growled at my four year old nephew, he didn't hesitate. Sent the kid in, sniped that pupper across the yard. It was a hard thing to watch, but a lead from the front lesson to witness.
Yep, I had to put a Chow down for going after my wife . This dog today was trying to assert dominance. Do not want to shoot a dog for that. If I had thought for a second the dog was after me this would have been a different conversation.

murphranch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve been around some pits, black mouth cur and a few other catch dogs that had bad habits of either fighting other dogs or not wanting to let go of hog or cattle and a hot shot/magrath when applied on EVERY part of their body had little to no effect. Unlike most other companion/hunting dogs who respond to electricity, dogs with the catch/clamp/bite in their blood don’t give up what purchase their mouths have found easily. I’m not saying ever pit/bulldog/catch dog out there is a biting and attacking machine, just telling my experience with some I’ve been around. One thing that often works is to pinch deeply into the dogs flanks and lift upward. If the dog releases be prepared for it to quickly turn towards your hand.
I once found out that a cattle prod is of little use against a pissed off human. At one time my older brother was about 4 inches shorter and probably 40 lbs lighter than me. We were working cattle and when we agreed to disagree I armed my self with hot shot. I tried to wear the batteries out on him only to receive one of the worst ass kickings I ever received.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IIRC there’s a statute in the state law somewhere that gives the owner of an animal the authority to shoot an animal that “threatens or worries” your animal.

Doesn’t the postal service letter carrier carry some kind of animal specific spray? I Remember seeing them walking door to door years ago with several clipped to their shoulder bags.

What about bear spray? A striking type weapon like a cane or ASP may not attract too much attention.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
IIRC there’s a statute in the state law somewhere that gives the owner of an animal the authority to shoot an animal that “threatens or worries” your animal.

Doesn’t the postal service letter carrier carry some kind of animal specific spray? I Remember seeing them walking door to door years ago with several clipped to their shoulder bags.

What about bear spray? A striking type weapon like a cane or ASP may not attract too much attention.
The shooting animals that worries your animals is in reference to protecting your livestock, if I remember right.

Most mail carriers I know carry regular pepper spray. My understanding is that bear spray isn’t more potent, and can in some cases be less potent. It just has better range and more volume.

Latest posts

Top Bottom