CCI has .22 in stock for $4.99 box

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
58   0   0

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Still have it. Just ordered a few boxes. Thanks for the heads up. Hopefully the FMJ has a more agreeable effect that the polymer tipped bullet that ripped the last squirrel I shot in half.
Squirrels are good candidates for head shots.

I always preferred FMJ over waxed lead. Hollow points (jacketed or not) aren't accurate as either one IME. I'm talking about .22LR, btw.

Sounds like you were using self-defense rounds... :D
:drunk2:

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Squirrels are good candidates for head shots.

I always preferred FMJ over waxed lead. Hollow points (jacketed or not) aren't accurate as either one IME. I'm talking about .22LR, btw.

Sounds like you were using self-defense rounds... :D
:drunk2:

I was a little doubtful of my unknown distance 5 round and a barrel swap zero, figured I would take the shot at the joint between the shoulder/neck and hope for the best. In the excitement of getting my first retrievable squirrel I didn’t realize he was quartered towards me. Didn’t fare too well with the cci vmax 17hmr round going through the abdomen.

my previous squirrel took a perfect headshot from a 22 and fell in crotch of the tree 40 feet up. To say I was disappointed would be an understatement.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
In the excitement of getting my first retrievable squirrel I didn’t realize he was quartered towards me. Didn’t fare too well with the cci vmax 17hmr round going through the abdomen.
As a kid, I hunted 'em with a .410 before I got a .22.

I was sitting leaned against a tree by the creek early one morning, and a squirrel started barking really close by. He was actually barking at me, on a limb a bit behind me probably 12-14ft away. It was kind of an awkward position, but I moved slow and he didn't run, so I shot him. Looked like he caught every pellet in that 3" shell.

Dad fussed at me the whole time we were skinning, saying I should know better than to shoot one that close. I didn't say anything (Dad didn't tolerate backtalk), but I was thinking how could I possibly know better when I'd never shot anything that close... :D

Good times. :drunk2:

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
As a kid, I hunted 'em with a .410 before I got a .22.

I was sitting leaned against a tree by the creek early one morning, and a squirrel started barking really close by. He was actually barking at me, on a limb a bit behind me probably 12-14ft away. It was kind of an awkward position, but I moved slow and he didn't run, so I shot him. Looked like he caught every pellet in that 3" shell.

Dad fussed at me the whole time we were skinning, saying I should know better than to shoot one that close. I didn't say anything (Dad didn't tolerate backtalk), but I was thinking how could I possibly know better when I'd never shot anything that close... :D

Good times. :drunk2:

It’s really something new going after these guys. Most of my hunting experience is in upland game, Going after squirrels last weekend was a first in my 32 years of living. Shooting hogs you want serious power and they’re really tough. I’ve pursued prairie dogs and coyotes in the past, nobody really cares if you blow one of them away. Going after something as delicate as a squirrel with the intent of eating it is a whole other deal.

Squirrel was probably thinking, "He won't shoot me here. Even if he hit me in the head, I'd fall right in the crotch of this tree 40 feet up where he couldn't get me. No idiot would do that! :doh: "

haha that’s likely what he was thinking. I spent the rest of the day realizing that squirrel hunting is a 3D ordeal. You’re hunting trees, the ground, and not only do you have to worry about the shot and such, but also where they fall. Talk about a valuable lesson.

Latest posts

Top Bottom