CCing AK pistol in truck isn't legal in OK?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ImaBBaller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm hoping somebody can help me here or point me in the right direction. I have a CWL and also have an AK pistol that I would like to carry loaded in my truck on occasion (not on my person like that crazy guy at that park). After reading through the SDA lawbook I can't see where it would be legal. Obviously you can CC any pistol, but the SDA book defines a pistol as having an overall length of less than 16". My AK pistol is over 20". As I've read it you can also carry a magazine or tube loaded rifle or shotgun with an empty chamber, but since my AK pistol is not a rifle or shotgun, it seems it falls into a hole in the law. I guess since I can't find where the law addresses pistols over 16", I guess I would have to carry it unloaded and separate from the ammo if it was in the cab with me. I'm hoping I missed a section in the law, and if anybody knows where it's at let me know.

Thanks!

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess I would have to carry it unloaded

TITLE 21 § 1289.13. Transporting a loaded firearm

TRANSPORTING A LOADED FIREARM

Except as otherwise provided by the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act or another provision of law, it
shall be unlawful to transport a loaded pistol, rifle or shotgun in a land borne motor vehicle over a public highway or
roadway. However, a rifle or shotgun may be transported clip or magazine loaded and not chamber loaded when
transported in an exterior locked compartment of the vehicle or trunk of the vehicle or in the interior compartment of the
vehicle notwithstanding the provisions of Section 1289.7 of this title when the person is in possession of a valid
handgun license pursuant to the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act.

ImaBBaller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Except as otherwise provided by the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act or another provision of law, it
shall be unlawful to transport a loaded pistol, rifle or shotgun in a land borne motor vehicle over a public highway or
roadway. However, a rifle or shotgun may be transported clip or magazine loaded and not chamber loaded when
transported in an exterior locked compartment of the vehicle or trunk of the vehicle or in the interior compartment of the
vehicle notwithstanding the provisions of Section 1289.7 of this title when the person is in possession of a valid
handgun license pursuant to the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act.

As far as I can tell this section is NOT applicable to an AK pistol.

This section refers to pistols (as defined as having and oa length of less than 16"), rifles, and shotguns. An AK pistol is non of the above. (Unless we can find a definition of a rifle as any gun with an overall length of 16" or more.)

Yes you can carry it clip loaded in your vehicle since you have you CCL.

I appreciate your response but I'm looking for proof of that written in the law.

I'm not much for going to jail on a technicality, and unless I can find it in the law or talk to a lawyer that knows of some case law, I don't see where it's legal.

TKNO1015s

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
TITLE 21 § 1290.2 Definitions As used in Sections 1 through 26 of this act:

1. Concealed means a loaded or unloaded pistol carried hidden from detection and view of another person either upon or about the person, in a purse or other container belonging to the person, or in a vehicle which is operated by the person or in which the person is riding as a passenger; and

2. Pistol means any derringer, revolver, or semiautomatic firearm which:

a. has an overall length of less than (16) sixteen inches and is able to be fully concealed from detection and view,

Except as otherwise provided by the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act or another provision of law, it shall be unlawful to transport a loaded pistol, rifle or shotgun in a land borne motor vehicle over a public highway or
roadway. However, a rifle or shotgun may be transported clip or magazine loaded and not chamber loaded when transported in an exterior locked compartment of the vehicle or trunk of the vehicle or in the interior compartment of the vehicle notwithstanding the provisions of Section 1289.7 of this title when the person is in possession of a valid handgun license pursuant to the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act.

I'm no attorney but it would seem that while 1290.2 is stating that you cannot carry as you are wanting to based upon the 16" requirement and the weapon does not meet the standard of being a "pistol" by statute, 1289.13 is stating that you can transport the weapon "clip or magazine loaded and not chamber loaded" as long as you are in possession of a valid CWL. So now then, are you carrying a concealed weapon pursuant to the Oklahoma Self Defense Act or are you legally transporting a weapon in your vehicle pursuant to State statute?

ImaBBaller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
TITLE 21 § 1290.2 Definitions As used in Sections 1 through 26 of this act:

1. Concealed means a loaded or unloaded pistol carried hidden from detection and view of another person either upon or about the person, in a purse or other container belonging to the person, or in a vehicle which is operated by the person or in which the person is riding as a passenger; and

2. Pistol means any derringer, revolver, or semiautomatic firearm which:

a. has an overall length of less than (16) sixteen inches and is able to be fully concealed from detection and view,

Except as otherwise provided by the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act or another provision of law, it shall be unlawful to transport a loaded pistol, rifle or shotgun in a land borne motor vehicle over a public highway or
roadway. However, a rifle or shotgun may be transported clip or magazine loaded and not chamber loaded when transported in an exterior locked compartment of the vehicle or trunk of the vehicle or in the interior compartment of the vehicle notwithstanding the provisions of Section 1289.7 of this title when the person is in possession of a valid handgun license pursuant to the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act.

I'm no attorney but it would seem that while 1290.2 is stating that you cannot carry as you are wanting to based upon the 16" requirement and the weapon does not meet the standard of being a "pistol" by statute, 1289.13 is stating that you can transport the weapon "clip or magazine loaded and not chamber loaded" as long as you are in possession of a valid CWL. So now then, are you carrying a concealed weapon pursuant to the Oklahoma Self Defense Act or are you legally transporting a weapon in your vehicle pursuant to State statute?

Re-read the parts I have made bold. An AK/AR pistol is not a rifle or shotgun. It still sadly seems to me that it has to be unloaded.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You pretty much give your own answer. If you and other gun savvy people can't agree on how the law interprets your AK pistol, how would you expect a non-gun savvy LEO, Asst. DA or judge to interpret it? The very presence of the confusion and lack of clarity in the law makes it a marginal situation.

It's never a good idea to enter into a marginal situation which may or may not have legal ramifications. My answer would be to CCW a handgun that was originally intended to be a handgun, or carry a rifle or shotgun in accordance with the law. JMO, YMMV

Latest posts

Top Bottom