CCing AK pistol in truck isn't legal in OK?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowboydoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you keep a clear record of who you spoke with along with the info they provided you have at least done some due diligence in getting an answer from the agencies that are charged with enforcing these laws..

May not be a 100% but far better than internet forum advice.. [Broken External Image]

When I moved back to Oklahoma, I had a CCW permit from a state that allowed me to change it to a non-resident permit, so it was still good for 3 or 4 years. I used the email on the OSBI website to confirm that Oklahoma recognized the non-resident permit. I kept a copy of the email with me in case I ever needed to explain why I had an Oklahoma DL and another state CCW permit. I used the email specifically so I would have a paper/electronic trail, not just I spoke to someone (maybe the janitor) at OSBI and they said it was OK.

Here is the link to ask OSBI a question. I got a response in about 24 hours. http://www.ok.gov/triton/contact.php?ac=168&id=144

cinman14

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
When I moved back to Oklahoma, I had a CCW permit from a state that allowed me to change it to a non-resident permit, so it was still good for 3 or 4 years. I used the email on the OSBI website to confirm that Oklahoma recognized the non-resident permit. I kept a copy of the email with me in case I ever needed to explain why I had and Oklahoma DL and another state CCW permit. I used the email specifically so I would have a paper/electronic trail, not just I spoke to someone (maybe the janitor) at OSBI and they said it was OK.

Here is the link to ask OSBI a question. I got a response in about 24 hours. http://www.ok.gov/triton/contact.php?ac=168&id=144

That's exactly what I would do as well...

Your neighborhood LEO might not be able to answer your questions but if you have a good relationship with him/her they can and will provide solid advice...

My thinking is they are the ones that will be making the judgment call if you are pulled over...

I wouldn't trust a damn word that comes out of the mouth of the DA Tim Harris... He is as anti-gun as you will find..

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm hoping somebody can help me here or point me in the right direction. I have a CWL and also have an AK pistol that I would like to carry loaded in my truck on occasion (not on my person like that crazy guy at that park). After reading through the SDA lawbook I can't see where it would be legal. Obviously you can CC any pistol, but the SDA book defines a pistol as having an overall length of less than 16". My AK pistol is over 20". As I've read it you can also carry a magazine or tube loaded rifle or shotgun with an empty chamber, but since my AK pistol is not a rifle or shotgun, it seems it falls into a hole in the law. I guess since I can't find where the law addresses pistols over 16", I guess I would have to carry it unloaded and separate from the ammo if it was in the cab with me. I'm hoping I missed a section in the law, and if anybody knows where it's at let me know.

Thanks!

Far as I recal you cant mainly because the ammo can go through a vest. Even though you may not have armor piercing ammo it will go through any vest out there today. Because of that factor it is a no no to use a AK pistol even if it was of a legal length. What I guess I was tring to get at was as far as I remember you cant use a weapon that shoots rifle ammo. Even thought though your weapon is a pistol the ammo is still considered rifle ammo. That is a no no

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Far as I recal you cant mainly because the ammo can go through a vest. Even though you may not have armor piercing ammo it will go through any vest out there today. Because of that factor it is a no no to use a AK pistol even if it was of a legal length. What I guess I was tring to get at was as far as I remember you cant use a weapon that shoots rifle ammo. Even thought though your weapon is a pistol the ammo is still considered rifle ammo. That is a no no
did you pull that out of your butt or what?

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"Restricted bullet" means a round or elongated
missile with a core of less than sixty percent
(60%) lead and having a fluorocarbon coating,
which is designed to travel at a high velocity
and is capable of penetrating body armor

thats all the law say's about restricted ammo. if what seadog said was true you couldn't own ammo for any rifle

ExtremistPullup

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"Restricted bullet" means a round or elongated
missile with a core of less than sixty percent
(60%) lead and having a fluorocarbon coating,
which is designed to travel at a high velocity
and is capable of penetrating body armor

thats all the law say's about restricted ammo. if what seadog said was true you couldn't own ammo for any rifle

Aren't all core's 100% lead.

Wouldn't the "restricted" bullet have to have both less then 60% lead AND have a fluorocarbon coating.

ImaBBaller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I really can't understand why people with legal questions do not call their local Police or the OSBI directly and ask..

Do you really think "but the guys on my local gun forum said it was ok" will really get you anywhere?

I understand and can appreciate asking out of curiosity and to engage conversation, but I really hope you intend on calling someone who actually KNOWS the answer to your question...

I'm assuming you were just making a generality but if you re-read my original post I asked for help in finding the specific section in the law that discusses this topic. I did not ask for opinions, although I did receive a few. My last post also stated I am going to attempt to receive clarification from the OSBI/AG since nobody was able to give me a section of the law that I had missed.

Reaction score
Yes, what redmax says. Guys, look - the reason it may not be legal is not bbl length, but the fact that you're not concealing it and carrying it on your person. If you conceal and carry it on your person, then it's (probably) legal as your CCW (if you have a CCW). If it's in your vehicle, then (arguably) it's not on your person, as is required by the self defense act, in which case the other statutes apply, in which case it needs to be "open and unloaded." They *might* even could argue, as an additional reason that the self-defense act (CCW) doesn't apply is that it's not a "handgun" within the meaning of the self-defense act; i.e. that the definition of handgun is more restrictive in the self-defense act than in federal law, meaning designed to fired with one hand. Frankly, the "handgun" AK is NOT fired with one hand - I'd like to see someone do this and how well they can shoot. It's a very well-settled idea that same word or phrase can have different meanings in different areas of the law.

Reaction score
I really can't understand why people with legal questions do not call their local Police or the OSBI directly and ask..

The answer to that is because they don't know, and/or even if they do, they may possibly, potentially lie to you. They are not the maker, nor the arbiter of law. Most rank and file police believe that if the ammo and gun are both "within the driver's reach", then you're doing something illegal. Nothing could be further from the truth. The law in no way codifies this idea, with or without CCW. It's "open and unloaded". Having ammo in your reach does not make the gun "loaded".

Latest posts

Top Bottom