CCing AK pistol in truck isn't legal in OK?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ImaBBaller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think this section is applicable:

TITLE 21 § 1289.13. Transporting a loaded firearm

TRANSPORTING A LOADED FIREARM

Except as otherwise provided by the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act or another provision of law, it shall be unlawful to transport a loaded pistol, rifle or shotgun in a land borne motor vehicle over a public highway or roadway. However, a rifle or shotgun may be transported clip or magazine loaded and not chamber loaded when transported in an exterior locked compartment of the vehicle or trunk of the vehicle or in the interior compartment of the vehicle notwithstanding the provisions of Section 1289.7 of this title when the person is in possession of a valid handgun license pursuant to the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act.

Any person convicted of a violation of this section shall be punished as provided in Section 1289.15 of this title.

Any person who is the operator of a vehicle or is a passenger in any vehicle wherein another person who is licensed pursuant to the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act to carry a concealed handgun and is carrying a concealed handgun or has concealed a handgun or rifle or shotgun in such vehicle shall not be deemed in violation of the provisions of this section provided the licensee is in or near the vehicle.

ExtremistPullup

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
.How many times has an LEO say that if the ammo is within reach, and the gun is too, then it's a violation? Nowhere does it say that.

Maybe they are referring to federal law

If you didn't have a CWL you would have to satisfy both state and federal law?

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode18/usc_sec_18_00000926---A000-.html

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
did you pull that out of your butt or what?

Correct me if im wrong but doesnt the CCW state that a pistol to be used for ccw cannt be one that uses rifle ammo. U are not alowed to use body armor peircing ammo for ccw. Any rifle on the market that uses rifle ammo will easily defeat the standard body armor vest regardless the class level .

For that reason I was making my post. If I was wrong my bad. That is just what I remember from my ccw class. Now it was like 6 o 7 years ago so it is a bit foggy.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"Restricted bullet" means a round or elongated
missile with a core of less than sixty percent
(60%) lead and having a fluorocarbon coating,
which is designed to travel at a high velocity
and is capable of penetrating body armor

thats all the law say's about restricted ammo. if what seadog said was true you couldn't own ammo for any rifle
since your having trouble with this here it is again. it means what it says. core of less than sixty percent lead AND having a fluorocarbon coating. that is the only restricted bullet listed

dieseltech09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cant be larger than .45

Correct me if im wrong but doesnt the CCW state that a pistol to be used for ccw cannt be one that uses rifle ammo. U are not alowed to use body armor peircing ammo for ccw. Any rifle on the market that uses rifle ammo will easily defeat the standard body armor vest regardless the class level .

For that reason I was making my post. If I was wrong my bad. That is just what I remember from my ccw class. Now it was like 6 o 7 years ago so it is a bit foggy.

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Let's revisit how the self defense act defines "pistol"

TITLE 21 § 1289.3. Definitions for firearms act

DEFINITIONS FOR FIREARMS ACT

“Pistols” as used in the Oklahoma Firearms Act of 1971, Sections 1289.1 through 1289.17 of this title, shall mean
any firearm capable of discharging a projectile composed of any material which may reasonably be expected to be able
to cause lethal injury, with a barrel or barrels less than sixteen (16) inches in length, and using either gunpowder, gas or
any means of rocket propulsion, but not to include flare guns, underwater fishing guns or blank pistols.

No restriction on overall length mentioned there.

Then, to further complicate matters:

TITLE 21 § 1290.2. Definitions

DEFINITIONS

As used in Sections 1 through 26 of this act:

1. Concealed handgun means a loaded or unloaded pistol carried hidden from the detection and view of
another person either upon or about the person, in a purse or other container belonging to the person, or in a
vehicle which is operated by the person or in which the person is riding as a passenger; and

2. Pistol means any derringer, revolver or semiautomatic firearm which:

a. has an overall length of less that sixteen (16) inches and is able to be fully concealed from detection
and view,

b. is capable of discharging a projectile composed of any material which may reasonably be expected to
be able to cause lethal injury,

c. is designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand, and

d. uses either gunpowder, gas or any means of rocket propulsion to discharge the projectile.

The definition of pistol for purposes of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act shall not apply to homemade or imitation
pistols, flare guns, underwater fishing guns or blank pistols.

Not really contradictory, but confusing!!

So, I can legally carry a cannon breech type single shot handgun (Competitor, etc) with a 15" barrel, chambered in 458 winchester magnum, but I can't carry a Ruger Charger .22 pistol! Go Figure!!

ImaBBaller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To Buzzgun:

"TITLE 21 § 1289.3" is defining a pistol for the state firearm act and covers the laws regarding weapons for those that don't have a CCL.

"TITLE 21 § 1290.2" is defining a pistol for the SDA and applies to those with a concealed carry license who intend to carry.

I probably didn't explain that very well but it's not really two definitions for the same thing, each section theoretically covers a different group of people (although they do overlap on many issues).

But yes, I absolutely agree, the law can be very silly sometimes. Almost like it was written by politicians. ;)

dieseltech09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe they are referring to federal law

If you didn't have a CWL you would have to satisfy both state and federal law?

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode18/usc_sec_18_00000926---A000-.html

TITLE 21 § 1289.13. Transporting a loaded firearm
TRANSPORTING A LOADED FIREARM
Except as otherwise provided by the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act or another provision of law, it shall be unlawful to transport a loaded pistol, rifle or shotgun in a land borne motor vehicle over a public highway or roadway. However, a rifle or shotgun may be transported clip or magazine loaded and not chamber loaded when transported in an exterior locked compartment of the vehicle or trunk of the vehicle or in the interior compartment of the vehicle notwithstanding the provisions of Section 1289.7 of this title when the person is in possession of a valid handgun license pursuant to the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act.Any person convicted of a violation of this section shall be punished as provided in Section 1289.15 of this title.
Any person who is the operator of a vehicle or is a passenger in any vehicle wherein another person who is licensed pursuant to the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act to carry a concealed handgun and is carrying a concealed handgun or has concealed a handgun or rifle or shotgun in such vehicle shall not be deemed in violation of the provisions of this section provided the licensee is in or near the vehicle.

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To Buzzgun:

"TITLE 21 § 1289.3" is defining a pistol for the state firearm act and covers the laws regarding weapons for those that don't have a CCL.

"TITLE 21 § 1290.2" is defining a pistol for the SDA and applies to those with a concealed carry license who intend to carry.

I probably didn't explain that very well but it's not really two definitions for the same thing, each section theoretically covers a different group of people (although they do overlap on many issues).

But yes, I absolutely agree, the law can be very silly sometimes. Almost like it was written by politicians. ;)

You are probably right, but it's all listed in the "Okla SDA Lawbook" here:
http://www.ok.gov/osbi/documents/SDA_Lawbook_NOV_2009.pdf

Latest posts

Top Bottom