CCW and suppressor question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dubs chops

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have My ccw. Is there any issue with carrying a loaded pistol in my backpack, with a silencer unattached and in a seperate compartment?

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never heard that you couldn't, only that if you did have to use your CCW in a self defense situation you might get the 4th or even 5th degree in questioning afterwards. Not sure if hearing protection is a good enough explanation.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't believe a removable device would be considered part of the length either. Just like a 14.5" AR has to have a perm attached device to meet the 16" requirement.

"Pistols" as used in the Oklahoma Firearms Act of 1971, Sections 1289.1 through 1289.17 of this title, shall mean any firearm capable of discharging a projectile composed of any material which may reasonably be expected to be able to cause lethal injury, with a barrel or barrels less than sixteen (16) inches in length, and using either gunpowder, gas or any means of rocket propulsion, but not to include flare guns, underwater fishing guns or blank pistols.

1. "Concealed handgun" means a loaded or unloaded pistol carried hidden from the detection and view of another person either upon or about the person, in a purse or other container belonging to the person, or in a vehicle which is operated by the person or in which the person is riding as a passenger; and
2. "Pistol" means any derringer, revolver or semiautomatic firearm which:
a. has an overall length of less than sixteen (16) inches and is able to be fully concealed from detection and view,
b. is capable of discharging a projectile composed of any material which may reasonably be expected to be able to cause lethal injury,
c. is designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand, and
d. uses either gunpowder, gas or any means of rocket propulsion to discharge the projectile.
The definition of pistol for purposes of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act shall not apply to homemade or imitation pistols, flare guns, underwater fishing guns or blank pistols.

Even if they did consider it part of the length, many 9mm suppressors would not take a standard service pistol over the 16" mark. There are also several micro 9mm cans available on the market that definitely wouldn't take you over the 16" mark attached on a lot of pistols.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't believe a removable device would be considered part of the length either. Just like a 14.5" AR has to have a perm attached device to meet the 16" requirement.

Even if they did consider it part of the length, many 9mm suppressors would not take a standard service pistol over the 16" mark. There are also several micro 9mm cans available on the market that definitely wouldn't take you over the 16" mark attached on a lot of pistols.

I agree with what you quoted, however the way I read it, the SDA grants you a license to carry a handgun. It does not grant you a license to carry a SBR, SBS, AOW, MG, DD or Suppressor. All of those are legally defined as firearms themselves. A suppressor is not considered simply an "attachment", it is considered a firearm under federal law and I believe Oklahoma follows all of the federal definitions. Again, this is just my opinion and I may very well be wrong.

dubs chops

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It won't be attached. I just wan't to make sure there wasn't something specifically stating that they can't be carried together. I hadn't seen it But I knew there were people here that had studied the text a lot more than myself. I will continue to carry it with me when I have my backpack with me.

thanks gang.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just scanning through Title 21 it is not dissallowed under unlawfull carry. Silencer is not specifically mentioned, but it also doesn't generalize as firearm.

UNLAWFUL CARRY
A. It shall be unlawful for any person to carry upon or about his or her person, or in a purse or other container belonging to the person, any pistol, revolver, shotgun or rifle whether loaded or unloaded or any dagger, bowie knife, dirk knife, switchblade knife, spring-type knife, sword cane, knife having a blade which opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring, or other device in the handle of the knife, blackjack, loaded cane, billy, hand chain, metal knuckles, or any other offensive weapon, whether such weapon be concealed or unconcealed, except this section shall not prohibit:
1. The proper use of guns and knives for hunting, fishing, educational or recreational purposes;
2. The carrying or use of weapons in a manner otherwise permitted by statute or authorized by the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act;
3. The carrying, possession and use of any weapon by a peace officer or other person authorized by law to carry a weapon in the performance of official duties and in compliance with the rules of the employing agency;
4. The carrying or use of weapons in a courthouse by a district judge, associate district judge or special district judge within this state, who is in possession of a valid concealed handgun license issued pursuant to the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act and whose name appears on a list maintained by the Administrative Director of the Courts; or
5. The carrying and use of firearms and other weapons provided in this subsection when used for the purpose of living history reenactment. For purposes of this paragraph, “living history reenactment” means depiction of historical characters, scenes, historical life or events for entertainment, education, or historical documentation through the wearing or use of period, historical, antique or vintage clothing, accessories, firearms, weapons, and other implements of the historical period.
B. Any person convicted of violating the foregoing provision shall be guilty of a misdemeanor punishable as provided in Section 1276 of this title.

Latest posts

Top Bottom