CCW and suppressor question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know what to think. The suppressor doesn't really change when you attach it does it? I don't think any entity defines a suppressor differently depending on weather it is attached or not. I'm curious as to why you believe it being attached is CCW a suppressor, but not unattached.

I am kind of on the side with dustin here, the supressor attached to the pistol should be a non issue, provided that it does not drive the barrel length over 16 inches.

Furthermore the official definition of pistol does not exclude the berretta 93R or Glock 18.

http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/DeliverDocument.asp?CiteID=69759

Well, the G18 and 93R are illegal carry as the SDA states derringer, revolver or semi Automatic in Section 2.

As far as the Suppressor, I will agree there is no definition excluding it. However, since BATFE considers a suppressor, in and of itself, a firearm, AND since the OK Statutes do not define suppressors, law interpretation in a court case will default to BATFE definitions.

Huge grey area, and I doubt anyone will know the correct answer until its tested in court.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree that the ATF classifies as suppressor as a firearm. But, wouldn't it then be illegal to carry even in the absence of a firearm? Attached to a gun, in the presence of a legally carried gun but not attached or alone, the suppressor is still a separate firearm.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree that the ATF classifies as suppressor as a firearm. But, wouldn't it then be illegal to carry even in the absence of a firearm? Attached to a gun, in the presence of a legally carried gun but not attached or alone, the suppressor is still a separate firearm.

And like I said where I agree with BP, its a risk, but who are they to say you werent put into that situation on your way to range.

Jcb0501

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just to be argumentative.......:drunk5:..........does the SDA allow holsters? How about aftermarket sites? Lasers? Pinky extentions? Lights on rails?

You see my point....if the law does not prohibit something, then it is legal! Laws are restrictions, not allowances......free country and all........:patriot::spaghetti::drunk5:

i like the way you argue my friend :clap3:

patrickcudd

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

As long as the suppressor is not loaded, you can carry it anywhere. I believe that was the law before the SDA.....:greetings

Nightops

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just to muddy the waters even further, what if you were carrying an integrally suppressed pistol? Granted I'm not aware of any other than Ruger .22lr, but the SDA does not preclude .22lr pistols.

Latest posts

Top Bottom