CCW Badge

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A badge is ridicolus. I suggest holstering your weapon if there is no more threat and calling 911 to report the incident. Give a good description of yourself so responding officers will recognize you. When they arrive keep your hands clearly visible and comply with officers.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Take into account that I'm not anyone you can quote, but I was a paralegal for 20 some-odd years and have been married to a police officer for 15 some-odd years and here's my personal take on those badges, based on conversations with attorney and LEO:

They are a BAD, BAD, BAD idea ...

Now, mind you, none of what I am about to say has actually played out in a courtroom, that I know of anyway. I guess if you wanted to you could do the research and see if you could find precedent. Me? I'd rather just not carry the badge. I have a permit in my wallet. That's good enough for several reasons. Anyway, I digress ...

1. A badge could be seen by certain individuals, civilian, LEO and within the judicial system (like the DA), as impersonating an officer. This could conceivably get you more contacts with LEO than you would EVER want to have. (I have contact with at least one, every single day. It ain't all it's cracked up to be ... :wink2: :D) Same is true with judges and DAs ... the less contact you have with those authoritarian type folks, the better your life is gonna be, generally speaking ...

2. There was some discussion amongst some of the attorneys I worked for as to the legality of those badges in Oklahoma. This type of conversation is typical amongst attorneys in offices when Friday afternoon rolls around and there is no court date looming, and all the clients are at the lake for the weekend ... or getting ready for the "big OU game" ... :) This particular issue leaned toward "ahhhh, it might not be explicitly illegal but it's not a really good idea, either because there are enough things that could go wrong with every legal argument I can come up with that I don't want to be that test case" conclusion.

3. OKBassin is right. If shots have been fired, you can bet your bottom dollar that has been reported to police in the 911s and tension will be high. **Forgot where I was, forgive me. Do what you want with your weapon.** Then do EXACTLY what they tell you. Yes, it could be humiliating. Yes, it could make you feel like you are the criminal. La de ****ing da ... Just do it ... They don't know anything about you other than you just shot a guy, so don't escalate the situation needlessly ...

4. The JBTs WILL ask you for a statement. **Again, do what you will. What a JBT might want in any given situation and what you want are obviously gonna be two different things. If you need advice any further than that, please consult an attorney ... **

Again, there has been LOTS of discussion here about this topic (and lots of varying opinions) so do a lot of reading (especially the stickied threads) and make an EDUCATED decision as to what works best for you. But I would strongly encourage you to skip the badge ...

Welcome to OSA! :)

Or ... because none of us here really has any real world experience with shooting folks while having a CCW badge hanging off our hips, you could just do what you want, because let's be honest here ... Just because a bunch of guys on the internet say it's a bad idea doesn't mean that it is so ... :rolleyes2

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom