CCW Gun Belt 1 or 2 Ply?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
For a heavier gun like an all-steel 1911, particularly if you are carrying OWB, I would definitely get a heavy-duty, sturdy belt. I don't know if it's a one-ply or a two-ply that's most important. I've owned/own several, including the rather sad and easily stretched and worn out Looper, which I have cast aside, but the best one I have is a Kramer Double-Thick Horsehide Belt. I think you could hang a circular saw on the thing and it still wouldn't sag. Another good one is The Beltman. Actually, just about any of the top makers makes a good gun belt. Milt Sparks, TT Gunleather, even UBG...you pick. But if you want to be sure it doesn't droop or sag, and you want a leather belt, then I say with confidence that you can't go wrong with Kramer. Fugggetabout the Hanks Amish belt you see some guys rave about; it's just a flimsy Walmart job, re-branded in my opinion. In real gun belts, as in many things, you get what you pay for.

Someone mentioned adjustability; for that, I recommend the Wilderness 5-Stitch. Sure, you can get cheaper belts of similar design, but a Wilderness is as heavy duty as a belt of this type can be. The metal buckle on the Heavy Duty model can also be used as a weapon if you run out of ammo in a big time gun fight or if you just want to wail the livin' crap out of some rival gang member and inadvertently left your 3-foot length of chain with the padlock on the end of it at home. I actually use this belt most of the time. I can cinch it up if going OWB with a heavier gun, or wear it a little looser so I get that fashionable sag in my baggy jeans and show everyone the seat in my boxers when carrying a little light weight pistola IWB like my G43.

What would be good is to look under the Product Review Section, if we had one, and see what others have to say.

P.S. (Post your poll, man).
Thanks for the info. I am going to wait till the weekend to post the poll. I think everyone is concerned about the constitutional carry right now.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I highly recommend a two ply with a steel core. I had one with a stiff plastic core and over a year or so, it deformed. I've had no problem with the steel core. It carries my 1911 and cell phone without any flexure. I also wear Perry Suspenders that hook onto the belt instead of clasping onto the waist band. It makes for a stable carry without cinching the belt so much that your legs go numb!

Woody

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What you you decide don't go cheap. I prefer leather and have been wearing the same Rafter S belt for 9 years. (Rafter was bought out long ago but I've seen them at some Wannenmacher shows.) Bullard makes good stuff and Tucker & Byrd looks well made but I haven't owned one.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not all leather is created equal. Not all leather crafters are equal either. Getting the right hide into to the right hands isn't terribly easy. You truly do get what you pay for in leather goods. I know this all too well. My lifestyle requires lots of leather stuff. Belts, boots, saddles, bridles, chaps and chinks. My wife and I do some leatherwork on the side and it has opened our eyes to how much time and effort goes into every leather product. When we have hides delivered it can be like Christmas morn one minute and then like the dog got run over the next. Some hides are really nice with good grain and some are like a dishrag. And then some may have scars or brands that really limit how much is usable. Anyhow, I'm just saying don't let a belt makers price be the main deciding factor in your purchase.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not all leather is created equal. Not all leather crafters are equal either. Getting the right hide into to the right hands isn't terribly easy. You truly do get what you pay for in leather goods.
Ah dude, this has pretty much been my experience in all aspects of life. I once hired a guy to do some yard/tree work that grew up on a local farm, and had cattle of his own.

The lack of common sense was absolutely mind-boggling. :/

Latest posts

Top Bottom