CCW in state parks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

regi9in

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is from the Gov. website.
Q: At what places am I not allowed to carry a handgun?

A: Generally, you cannot openly carry at the following places or events:

• Private businesses, organizations or residences that prohibit open carry
  • ***Buildings, structures or office space owned or leased by governmental entities***
  • Meetings of any city, county, town state or federal officials
  • Meetings of school board members or legislative members
  • Meetings of other elected or appointed officials
  • Any prison, jail or detention facility
  • Any place where pari-mutuel wagering is authorized
  • Sporting Arenas during a professional sporting event
  • Establishments whose primary purpose is to dispense alcoholic beverages
  • Colleges, Universities or Technology Centers
  • Public and Private Schools
  • Any other place specifically prohibited by law
This is from the OK ccw handbook.
TITLE 21 § 1277
UNLAWFUL CARRY IN CERTAIN PLACES
A.It shall be unlawful for any person in possession of a valid handgun license issued pursuant to the provisions of
the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act to carry any concealed or unconcealed handgun into any of the following places:
****1.Any structure, building, or office space which is owned or leased by a city, town, county, state, or federal
governmental authority for the purpose of conducting business with the public;*****
2.Any prison, jail, detention facility or any facility used to process, hold, or house arrested persons,
prisoners or persons alleged delinquent or
adjudicated delinquent;
3.Any public or private elementary or public or private secondary school, except as provided in subsections
C and D of this section;
4.Any sports arena during a professional sporting event;
5.Any place where pari-mutuel wagering is authorized by law; and
6.Any other place specifically prohibited by law

The part I am looking at is has been ***. I have heard many people complain that legally they can't carry under a structure in parks in Oklahoma, the part from the Gov. site does say government structures, but the law says government structures for the purpose of conducting business. Would appreciate your thoughts on this. I personally see that the law itself would not include a shelter at parks unless the government entity that "owns" the park was conducting business in that shelter.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
What ever one I am carrying at the time.

Parks aren't off limits, my comment of what handgun, was implying the one that you're carrying, that nobody can see anyway. It's no different than carrying in a National Park and using their camping areas and restroom facilities, you can carry there, you just can't carry in the visitor centers/gift shops because they're doing business with the public.

regi9in

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is the point that becomes muddy. Actual law agrees but state sites just say structure, witch would mean any building, restroom, awning, etc. I know many that think they can't go certain places after they read that on sites like the Governors since it just lists structures.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I don't think it's muddy. There's not a State Park in OK that I won't carry in, but I won't carry into the visitor center. I fully agree with the last sentence of your first post.

regi9in

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
To a lot of people it is muddy. To me it is not. I take law as written. A lot of people look at various places for answers and when as little as one word is left out, the waters get muddy. As in this case, I opened up about ten sites and only three stated conducting business and the rest just said structure. Many people I know don't think they can go under the shelter at parks, sit in the stand at their kids baseball games and so on.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Concerning Oklahoma property (not US govt property) the OK SDA IS the written law, and any other interpretation, paraphrase,, partial reproduction, or other modification has ZERO force of law, and is often the wishful thinking of the individual involved.

To give you a specific example, the Wildlife Refuge can put a no guns sign on the outhouse, and it is valid and has the force of law, because it is FEDERAL property. Access and use on Ft Sill is whatever THEY say it is. Oklahoma law is not applicable.

Putting a no guns sign on a state park rest shelter or, as has been done, putting a no guns sign on a state parking lot is INVALID and can be ignored, because the ONLY applicable law is the SDA.

Of the states I've taught gun courses, Oklahoma is about the worst at having people hear something, or think they heard something, and even in class go on about SOME GUY SAID....!!
The short answer is SO WHAT and WHO CARES? Read the SDA.

Latest posts

Top Bottom