CCW license renewal........how far in advance ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was cleaning out my wallet last night and noticed that my license expires in a few months......2-23-16.

It took awhile to get it and I don't want to see it expire while the paperwork is sitting on someones desk and then me having to start all over again.

To be safe how far in advance should you send in the paperwork for renewal ?......I'm guessing there is a renewal form available somewhere and new photos will be required also ?

BCurry1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think you can renew up to 90 days before it expires, they sent me a letter in the mail around that time. You can do it all online at the OSBI website. Pay with credit card and upload a photo from your phone. I did it a couple months ago. Took about 10 mins to fill out the forms online, and about 35 days for the new license to arrive in my mailbox.

ETA: I was right. From their website.

35. When can I renew my license?

SDA licenses can be renewed 90 days prior to expiration.You can re-apply as a renewal if your license expired no more than 3 years ago.If it has been over 3 years, you will be an “expired renewal.” As an expired renewal, you must process through the sheriff’s office in your county of residence, resubmit fingerprint cards and pay the fee as would a new applicant.

Link to renew:
http://www.ok.gov/osbi/Handgun_Licensing/Click_Here_to_Apply_Online.html

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
90 days prior, you have a 30 day grace period as well, just like your car tag.You wont have to start all over again unless you let it expire for more than 3 years. At that point, you'd start all over.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
90 days prior, you have a 30 day grace period as well, just like your car tag.You wont have to start all over again unless you let it expire for more than 3 years. At that point, you'd start all over.

Correct... mine expired by 5 months before I noticed. I did it all online, took about a month to get it back.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They wont except it if you send it in to early a co worker done that and they mailed it all back to him and he had to wait 30 days a resend it all.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A word of caution on renewal, especially with a credit card...

My wife submitted the paperwork to renewed hers.
We started the process 90 days from expiration.
during the process, her CC was reissued due to something at the CC company (possible hacking?)
By the time the OSBI ran the CC info supplied, the card was no longer "valid" and the paperwork was returned to us.
This was about 20 days before expiration.
There was no way the CC company could allow OSBI to process on old number
Process had to be started over.

I think she finally got the new card 29 days after expiration of the old one.

Never again with a CC if I can avoid it.

Dave

Podman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mine was set to expire at the end of Dec. I got notice from OSBI about a week ago and sent in the renewal a few days ago. Waiting for it to come back.

Latest posts

Top Bottom