CCW on college campus'

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If I was a university admin I think my biggest worry would be guns in the dorms. Along with drugs and drinking, bad stuff could happen. But most students over 21 probably won't be staying in the dorms anyway.

I also know that professors are afraid of angry students. Giving the little princes and princesses anything but a A grade and a trophy might piss them off.

Make no mistake: I'm not taking this position, the right to self defense trumps any such fears.

Okie1907

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I was a university admin I think my biggest worry would be guns in the dorms. Along with drugs and drinking, bad stuff could happen. But most students over 21 probably won't be staying in the dorms anyway.

I also know that professors are afraid of angry students. Giving the little princes and princesses anything but a A grade and a trophy might piss them off.

Make no mistake: I'm not taking this position, the right to self defense trumps any such fears.

I have heard the fear defense and it is unfounded. You don't need a gun to make a threat or to carry out violence against a teacher. Also when was the last time you have heard of a teacher being threatened or had violent act against them for bad grades or other classroom relate issues? Not often I bet.

RugerSooner

Speedy Gonzalez
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Also, if they are gonna threaten (or do worse) a professor over a grade, one: there isn't a security measure to keep them from concealing a handgun illegally and two: if the professor or another student has legally licensed and had his carry pistol they could stop said violence

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
College students are necessarily the ninnies that some make them to be. Sure there are some that aren't even responsible enough to regularly go to class; they get booted after a semester or two. Others go to the Big U to do nothing but party. They likewise are removed in a semester or two. Sometimes both categories wise up quickly enough and get on with their education.

Not really fair to the responsible students to deny them rights but perhaps that's the rational of some administrations to protect the bulk of the students from the several irresponsible ones.

I went to a large public university back when dinosaurs walked the earth. While guns weren't officially permitted nothing was said if their presence was not overt. Plinking, organized competition and hunting opportunities were available as near as 15 minutes from campus. While a dorm RA I only had to council one or two to close their door when they were cleaning guns. Never had a problem.

We didn't have to worry much about terrorism in those days. As I recall there might have been a bomb planted near the door of the ROTC department, however this was a Vietnam War protest not an attempt to harm students/staff.

Today there is a real terrorist threat to large gatherings of people, especially those in disarmed-by-law zones. Public primary/secondary schools in OK are permitted to arm staff members who have LE reserve status or training as an armed guard. Private schools can, by policy they may create under the laws, go beyond this if they choose. Maybe colleges need this same level of authority by law as a minimum.

Liberty addict

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have heard the fear defense and it is unfounded. You don't need a gun to make a threat or to carry out violence against a teacher. Also when was the last time you have heard of a teacher being threatened or had violent act against them for bad grades or other classroom relate issues? Not often I bet.
Well it happened (almost) at UCO about 20 years ago; and this guy had mental problems. But he brought a gun to shoot his teacher. There was a scuffle, someone saw all this.
I do not recall exactly, but the guy lost the gun and ran off.

Okie1907

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well it happened (almost) at UCO about 20 years ago; and this guy had mental problems. But he brought a gun to shoot his teacher. There was a scuffle, someone saw all this.
I do not recall exactly, but the guy lost the gun and ran off.

I'm sure it happens but still rare. The no guns on campus rule didn't help. If tha guy would of been committed or a better fighter I bet the instructor would of wished they had something

Latest posts

Top Bottom