Chamber polishing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man...be careful with that. But hell, you know that already. Might give J.K. Williams, the Gunsmith at Henry's Guns in Yukon a call. He was the smith at the old Outdoor America Store for many years. Decent fella and has done some work for me, and did it well, although it wasn't a chamber polish.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have polished and even honed then polished chambers and no issues at all.
I make a mandrel from an ink pen tube.. the outer section.. basically a thick straw.
I take a razor blade and slice down one end about 1" and this slot will be used to insert the end of some sandpaper and wrap the sand paper around the "straw" where the cut is at. basically making it a snug fit into the chamber.
But not so snug that it will not slid in and out.
Chuck it up into a variable speed, slow drill.
Start with 1500 grit wet sand and see if that removes the roughness.

Now a bore swab with some meguiers machine glaze will work really well for putting the shinola to it if you need that.

If no bore swap fits you can use a brass or nylon brush that is smaller than the chamber and wrap paper towels around it so it fits snug then coat the towels with the machine glaze.

This stuff
https://www.nationaltoolwarehouse.c...MI782i_LGQ3AIVCwBpCh3L7gFoEAQYBSABEgKNf_D_BwE

Or the #2 which cuts a bit more.

I use # 2 after wet sanding a car with 2000 grit then @ 1 and I do it by hand.
Just saying this stuff is very fine and will remove scratches and swirl marks.
I use it to polish the inside of my dies for easier case extraction.

Latest posts

Top Bottom