Cheap AR?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

piston10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What did my rifles cost? Heck, let's see...

I've got a RRA carbine, has a Vortex Sparc on it and a rifle-length YHM rail, a foregrip... Initially, I think I had about $850 in it a couple years ago. So now, figure something like $1100-1200.

Got a trio of Spikes carbines in pink, FDE and OD. The former two have Troy Alpha rails, Magpul BUIS, the OD I bought a Todd Jarrett rail for and FARGING LOST IT! UGH! And one has a Bushnell-branded Eotech, another couple hundred. MOE stuff on all of 'em. So, those... mmm... some of the parts were during the craze, prolly around $1200 in each of them total - averaged.

My varmint rifle is a Spike's with a Samson rail and a 24" Wilson bull barrel and a Vortex Crossfire II, NiB BCG, nicer stock and such. Maybe $1300-1400?

My 6.8 is an all Rock River I purchased complete for a good deal. Shipping, transfer fees AND 7 boxes of ammo - well under a grand. So that one is my "budget build" lol. ;)

I wouldn't sell a single one for even what I have in them... prolly take another crazy craze to get me to sell, and if I did, I'd sell the cheapies I'm building now, not the ones above that I love.

You are doing what I'm talking about. You are buying better parts for a little more money. Looks like you are building nice rifles on a budget, not just building crap because it's cheap.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
You are doing what I'm talking about. You are buying better parts for a little more money. Looks like you are building nice rifles on a budget, not just building crap because it's cheap.

True... even the new "bulk" rifles I am building I like to think have quality parts. Maybe inexpensive, but I'm not shooting 10k rounds per year, OR trying to get sub-MOA accuracy out of them. They'll all have free-float handguards, more than likely, but not going to be top-of-the-line stuff, either. FA carriers and Carpenter bolts are a must, but beyond that, I'm not super picky as long as it's quality stuff. I think the barrels on my 3 pretty guns are all 1:9 by Mossberg... I may swap those onto the bulk guns and get some nicer 1:7s on them. But mostly MOE stocks and grips for those, I'd assume. Oh, and trigger guards... I have a thing for trigger guards, lol. I don't know why. I put the Magpul winter trigger guards on most of them, but now I'm switching them out to the Seekins billet ones, because they look sweet as hell. :D All the new rifles have built-in trigger guards, so that helps save me $20 per. :D

Anyways... God I love to talk about guns... I gotta run, gotta get some ink injected!

Nighthawk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
True... even the new "bulk" rifles I am building I like to think have quality parts. Maybe inexpensive, but I'm not shooting 10k rounds per year, OR trying to get sub-MOA accuracy out of them. They'll all have free-float handguards, more than likely, but not going to be top-of-the-line stuff, either. FA carriers and Carpenter bolts are a must, but beyond that, I'm not super picky as long as it's quality stuff. I think the barrels on my 3 pretty guns are all 1:9 by Mossberg... I may swap those onto the bulk guns and get some nicer 1:7s on them. But mostly MOE stocks and grips for those, I'd assume. Oh, and trigger guards... I have a thing for trigger guards, lol. I don't know why. I put the Magpul winter trigger guards on most of them, but now I'm switching them out to the Seekins billet ones, because they look sweet as hell. :D All the new rifles have built-in trigger guards, so that helps save me $20 per. :D

Anyways... God I love to talk about guns... I gotta run, gotta get some ink injected!

I am just wondering, How many rifles do you build a year, I could be reading this wrong, but it sounds like a lot.

underpar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No disrespect to BCM, I have a couple of their BCG's in my weapons. Just saying that you can get an equivalent barrel, their BCG, a comparable upper & lower, and a crisp trigger for a couple hundred bucks cheaper that buying a complete BCM rifle. Sure, a "franken gun" but an equivalent rifle just missing a rollmark!

For those of you out their who don't know this, you can actually build a better rifle by using the best of multiple manufacturers than you can by buying a rifle from one manufacturer.

93 FOX

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No disrespect to BCM, I have a couple of their BCG's in my weapons. Just saying that you can get an equivalent barrel, their BCG, a comparable upper & lower, and a crisp trigger for a couple hundred bucks cheaper that buying a complete BCM rifle. Sure, a "franken gun" but an equivalent rifle just missing a rollmark!

For those of you out their who don't know this, you can actually build a better rifle by using the best of multiple manufacturers than you can by buying a rifle from one manufacturer.
And build exactly what you want.

Latest posts

Top Bottom