Cheap AR?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I assume from reading the rest of your post that you mean you don't subscribe to the philosophy that Frankenguns are sub-par? The way I initially read that statement was that you thought a rifle should be all one manufacturer. But it sounds like you are equally happy with your pieced-together gun, which I think most (not all) of us here would echo.

Yea, I wasn't too clear on that. I do not think that a factory assembled rifle is any better than one assembled by an experienced individual. Building to your specifications usually results in a better end product if you are quality minded.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
this has been an interesting read with pros and cons on both sides
maybe someone should start a thread with component suppliers,a pic and final cost? just a thought, visuals with a testimony might be informational.

Nighthawk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Haha. Yeah, I know. Let's see... bought my first one in 2011, had someone here build it for me. It had a problem a couple times from an incorrectly-installed hammer spring, let the trigger pin walk out. While having someone show me how to fix that issue, I realized it wasn't so bad. I picked up I think 5 Spikes lowers, maybe from you, Mark? I sat on 'em through most of 2012, then in '13 decided to start building. Picked up parts as I found them cheaply, since the craze was on in full force... managed to build 5 or 6 more rifles in '13, a couple for friends. Then I started collecting lowers, since they got so cheap. Bought my 6.8 fully assembled, but it'll get torn down soon. Now, in '14, I'm working on building the 11 lower receivers I picked up into complete rifles. One is for a friend, the other 10 are just for me. :D

I want an arsenal for when the zombies come... or whomever. ;)

I considered getting my FFL and building to sell... not to make money, but just because it would let me buy more and build. I'm addicted. I absolutely LOVE building a rifle for someone else as much as myself. To see that look in their eye when you hand it to them? Damn... friend of mine's 13 y/o son I built one for, I think he was on that thing like a Playboy magazine. Now I'm building her one. lol I've put the FFL idea to the side for now, just because I have too many other things going on with changing jobs and such.

God, don't I wish! I'd LIVE in that store and give my house up! ;)

Don't we all... lol. Some great vendors we've got on here.

Resale of, and getting what you paid for the parts out of a 'Frankenstein weapon' package may be a real challenge, unless you find the right person that appreciates and trusts the work you have done.

On the other hand, as a comparison, If you purchased a stock 55' Chevy 2 door post, removed the engine replaced it with a larger newer one, with a blower or turbo charger, or with Nitrous, cut the trunk out and replaced the metal with sheet metal that you formed to accept large tires, replaced the old braking system, replaced it with a newer version, removed all the tires and wheels replaced them with cool rims and big tires, cut down the rear end so that those new tires will fit under the body. You are not a mechanic, just some guy that read and watched how to do things on the internet. When does it stop being a 55' Chevy 2 door post? Is it now a Frankenstein car?

A person can customize a rifle to his or her use, from the bottom up starting with a stripped receiver. It can be a lot of fun, when done legally. If a person is a consumer, no special license is needed.

If that person is a FFL they are required to pay extra to have an 07 added to the license, engrave the business name city and state on all weapons they build, keep track of each weapon they assemble (build) in their manufacturers book, which has been transferred from their Accusition and disposition book. That weapon made (assembled) by the FFL is not a Frankenstein weapon instead it is manufactured by the new name (FFL) engraved on the receiver. The FFL has to also pay a tax after he/she manufactures so many. If an FFL does not follow the ATF rules, he or she will receive an unwanted unscheduled visit by ATF. There are FFL’s that do not follow the rules, and sooner or later they lose their license.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I keep telling myself I want a "cheap" AR to just throw in the truck, hasn't happened so far. I think the first one I ever built was about $900. My dedicated .22 rifle is probably the cheapest one I've put together. My 300 AAC Blackout being next cheapest. I hate the triggers on them though, same with my wifes rifle. The trigger on my goto gun has me spoiled.

I got most of the parts on sale for my wife's rifle and it still ate almost $1700, (never keep a build spreadsheet and track the cost, it'll make you cringe), and that's with a stock LPK trigger. I think mine was a little less the upper started life as a CMMG stocker. No nickel boron treated BCG or DD barrel. Medieval flash suppressor, etc.

Cheap is a relative term. I think my current goto gun was cost effective for what I want it to do. As far as sole source manufactured rifles vs. a self built firearm go for reliability I don't think if you take the time to study the subject and are thorough and meticulous that you'll wind with anything less reliable. You won't get what you pay for a nice build if you decide to sell it but I don't care.

Latest posts

Top Bottom