Cheap AR?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

93 FOX

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
99.9 percent of AR owners will never put 10K rounds through their rifles.

Those that do, appreciate quality components.

Correct, do you pay for the roll mark on the side? Sure, but you get more quality and ALOT more reputation or koolaid, which ever you want to call it.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The last time I built a relatively cheap AR I just used it for plinking and things of that nature. Would I have run it in the practical rifle match at oil capital? Yes, I would have.

clock152

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Clock, didn't you just return a barrel out of spec? That's the difference. The bigger names, Noveske, BCM, Colt, Larue and Daniel Defense have earned the respect of better than Mil-Spec rifles. To really test the reliability of anything it has to be pushed passed the standard. Hk for example, runs 10,000 rounds of ammo through their pistols and THEN it passes the accuracy test for the Military, every other pistol shoots for accuracy out of the box. These are things superior brands do. When you get to 10000 rounds on your Ar, then see if it will hold a 1 inch group at 100 yards, if it gets to 10000 rounds. Most budget rifles are great plinking rifles, but don't compare them to brands like BCM because they are not. There is a quality difference.
Edit: sorry Piston, had to come back to edit this. You can put KAC in that group of quality Ar's too.
:wink2:
it turned out to be a hunk of plastic that was stuck in the chamber area... not sure where that came from. packing material maybe.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've owned LWRC, KAC, Spikes, DD, DPMS, BCM, noveske, Colt and Olympic Arms AR-15's. From my experience, it is better/more cost effective to build your own and pick and choose the parts. I feel a Spikes lower/upper receiver is just as good as one of the higher end manufacturers I listed. The added savings from buying the spikes can be spent on a better barrel, trigger, BCG. Parts that will make or break the gun. Money spent on hand guards, pistol grips, and CH's is justified by whatever fits your needs the best.

If you need ultra low profile, light weight, with ease of mounting/removing, get the Keymod. Or just buy it because you think it looks cool. I don't think you have to justify how much you spent, whether less or more, as long as you're happy with the product and it meets your needs.

93 FOX

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And that ends this thread......

Gabe: i'll be at keystone sir for sure.. i'll transfer some pics off my phone when i get a chance.

I don't think the question asked by the op has anything to do with the shooter. It's about the reliability in high end and low end Ar's.

piston10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think the question asked by the op has anything to do with the shooter. It's about the reliability in high end and low end Ar's.

Correct. I'm not talking about skill. I'm wanting to know why some feel the need to build cheap when they can afford better.

Latest posts

Top Bottom