Cheap AR?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

piston10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Using the vehicle analogy. A Kia will get you there just the same as a Mercedes most of the time but there will be a higher failure rate with the Kia and the Mercedes will have features that the Kia does not have. Features like more accurate handling and more comfortable seats, etc.

In this analogy the Kia equates to del-ton, Olympic, bushmaster. While the Chevy truck would be more akin to the mid tier AR like spikes, PSA, S&W. And the Mercedes being Noveske, BCM, DD. This is why I don't understand the bottom of the barrel defenders. You can spend not very much more to get a higher standard. The mid tier is as low as some of us would care to go. Vehicular and otherwise.

If the Kia is all you can afford, than have at it. Better to be on the road than walking. But don't go telling me that the Kia is the same damn thing as the Mercedes.

This^^^

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I get it, but don't agree. What's the chances of having a mechanical failure on a 185k truck vs a new truck? We won't talk about Benz, that's the Rijas of the car business!

I'm a believer in you get what you pay for, that's why cost has something to do with it.

I didn't buy a vehicle with $185k miles on it and trust it, it had to prove itself reliable. As far as cost having something to do with it, sometimes you're just paying for a rollmark.

Regardless, not everybody can afford to spend $1000 plus on a rifle, $300-$500 may not be much to some, but it's a lot of money for many of us.

If a man has a $1000 budget for firearm and ammo, what would you advise him to do?

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Using the vehicle analogy. A Kia will get you there just the same as a Mercedes most of the time but there will be a higher failure rate with the Kia and the Mercedes will have features that the Kia does not have. Features like more accurate handling and more comfortable seats, etc.

In this analogy the Kia equates to del-ton, Olympic, bushmaster. While the Chevy truck would be more akin to the mid tier AR like spikes, PSA, S&W. And the Mercedes being Noveske, BCM, DD. This is why I don't understand the bottom of the barrel defenders. You can spend not very much more to get a higher standard. The mid tier is as low as some of us would care to go. Vehicular and otherwise.

If the Kia is all you can afford, than have at it. Better to be on the road than walking. But don't go telling me that the Kia is the same damn thing as the Mercedes.

I never compared a Kia to a Mercedes, I said that I'm a cheap ass that drives and old beat up truck because it's reliable. Going and buying a Mercedes would be wasting money on something that I would never appreciate....which is why I'm still driving a beat up old truck.

piston10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I didn't buy a vehicle with $185k miles on it and trust it, it had to prove itself reliable. As far as cost having something to do with it, sometimes you're just paying for a rollmark.

Regardless, not everybody can afford to spend $1000 plus on a rifle, $300-$500 may not be much to some, but it's a lot of money for many of us.

If a man has a $1000 budget for firearm and ammo, what would you advise him to do?

Advise him to call you.

Again, that was not the question, the question was the guys that can afford to spend more, why don't they spend more. I hear what you are saying, but you have admitted you have a $3000 rifle. I'm talking to the guys/gals that can afford $1000 plus rifles that decide to do budget builds, and not the ones who are building rifles for fun or others or can't afford more.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Advise him to call you.

Again, that was not the question, the question was the guys that can afford to spend more, why don't they spend more. I hear what you are saying, but you have admitted you have a $3000 rifle. I'm talking to the guys/gals that can afford $1000 plus rifles that decide to do budget builds, and not the ones who are building rifles for fun or others or can't afford more.

Those guys don't really bother me. It's the guys that buy the bushmaster and claim it to be no different than BCM and you are just paying for a roll mark that I don't understand.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't want to start any fights, but if a person can afford to buy an H&K USP, then should he just ignore a Glock, Springfield XD or Smith M&P?

(I'm only throwing this out there because long ago, I read a post on an H&K forum where a guy wrote that a Glock or M&P wasn't good enough to defend himself and his family. It had to be an HK product. I don't know if he was serious.)

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Okay. lets look at it from that perspective. I can afford a $1,000 rifle. No problem. Why have I not bought a thousand dollar rifle? Simple: the delta between what you get for $700 vs. what you get for $1,000 is too small to justify the added expense.

We can even assume that a $1,000 rifle is better than a $700 rifle. Is it 30% better? as in, fires 30% more accurately, weighs 30% less, is 30% easier to load?

The answer is, for 99% of the people out there, no.

Daryl Licht

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As pointed out several times in this thread, some buy cheaper stuff because that's all they can afford. My first two AR's were done on the cheap. Of the two, after around 2k rounds each, one hasn't had any problems at all, the other has crapped a couple of small parts (a bolt catch and a extractor spring) which were easy enough to replace. It functions fine now. Neither would be my first choice for home defense, but I have other firearms for that. If they were all I had though, I wouldn't be afraid to grab either one. Just how many rounds will you get off in a HD situation, if you have to fire any at all? Just how much greater are the odds that a $500 rifle that has been well cleaned, lubed and maintained is going to puke at that exact moment?

Life is better now than it was when I got the first two, and I can pretty much get whatever I want, so I do.

Latest posts

Top Bottom