chest rig/plate harness

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a plate carrier and sold it. Went with an HSGI chest rig and couldn't be happier. I have a slick carrier that the chest rig can be run over if necessary. If I was buying all over again, I would probably go with the SKD Systema setup. I really like the versatility of it and SKD rocks.

iceman755

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lookin to just carry 3-5 ar mags and about 5 pistol mags as well as whatever sundry molle crap I can slap on it. I was just noticing that a few places that had a decent chest rig that was actually a plate carrier so I figured why not. Its all going to be recreational/tacticool/3gun situations lol. Im honestly looking for a really lightweight setup that wont weigh me down

english kanigit

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You want lightweight but you want to carry a metric butt-load of ammo?

Planning on missing a lot with your pistol? ;)

A chest rig is just that: something on your chest that carriers your stuff. A plate harness or carrier will obviously carry armor but it may or may not be able to carry gear depending on the specific model you buy. Some are 'scalable' meaning you can add or subtract layers of load bearing equipment (chest rig, pack, etc) to suit whatever need you have to meet.

Identify specifically what your needs are and go from there. As an old dude who knows a few things about this has told many folks, "The mission drives the gear train."

If you already have plates and/or soft armor look for a rig that's built around it. Not every thing is designed around the same plate sizes/styles/shapes. Almost every manufacturer out there has a basic plate carrier that can hold 2-3 mags in the front lower centerline. The Mayflower APC comes immediately to mind as does the SKD 'PIG'. The latter is actually a complete ensemble that can be purchased piecemeal to suite your exact need. GREAT quality for the money. I would suggest you look it up. They also have basic chest rigs too.

Ek

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you have the opportunity to try on some variations of what you are looking for it will help you decide.

I can tell you this, there are better ways to carry what you are wanting to carry without limiting yourself to a chest rig or plate carrier. Moving those pistol mags to a war belt like the Brokos or HSGI Suregrip along with your holster of choice and a BOK will prove to be the most comfortable solution. This is especially true since you are planning on having "5 pistol mags and sundry molle gear". You are going to figure out pretty quick that all that gear will interfere with your ability to access pouches. If you are wanting something that wont weigh you down then you can pretty much write off a plate carrier, especially if you are on a budget and wont be purchasing the lightest (read: most expensive) plates available. That weight adds up quickly, and your going to realize that saving a pound or two here and there makes a world of difference in fit and comfort.

I have little experience in the strictly chest rig arena, so I would defer to others like Jakerz and EK on that one. also, I would look through different loadout threads on some forums and see what others have to say about what they run and why. Here is one to start you off.

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?39159-Gear-loadout-pics-and-descriptions

Gabriel42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have a Haley Strategic D3 chest rig. Not the cheapest but really like it. Also, have the IOTV-like offering from Condor with a set (front/back/sides) of ESAPI. Looking at getting pouches and having two setups.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
On that chest rig I mentioned earlier, I run 3 AR mags only. Having too much gear on your front can be a PIA when going prone. I also wear a MOLLE belt by US grunt gear with 2 pistol pouches, AR mag/multi tool pouch, pistol holster.

The only way to truly find out if something works or not (configuration) is put it on and try it. I've spent hours at the range adding/removing gear/pouches to find my ideal setup. Going prone, getting in/out of a vehicle, etc. Btw, I run/prefer the taco pouches by HSGI. The esstac kYWI are nice too.

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I really like my Mayflower LPAC that I got from EK. Removable harnesses for various calibers, or just the molle one so you can make your own set up, are nice too. That said, I may be going to an SKD rig of some flavor, or if I win the lotto a Crye setup.

Latest posts

Top Bottom