chicken butchering...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirty Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Boil the water first. Hang it upside down by the feet. Cut the throat let it bleed out. Water needs to be 140-160. After dipping a few times check feather looseness not at feet but on wings. The wing feathers should come out easily or you need to dip it a few more times. After removing all the feathers burn off the pin feathers(look like hair). The only thing that I suck at is getting the neck out. There is a good YouTube video on it I just watched the other day. But I still just have my wife do it.

A lot of times I just skin it and get the breast and thigh&leg quarters. Quick and easy no boiling water or feather plucking.

120 Acres

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I second the skinning.

Its a rooster so it will probably be pretty tough (depending on age), just skin it out, stick him in the crock pot.

Good eats!

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's a third for just skinning him, cutting him up in pieces and foodsavering his arse ...

I've butchered more chickens than I care to admit. GC helped me last year (:woot: popped his chicken killing cherry!!). We just skinned them because I didn't think I could butcher, and pluck a whole yard full of birds basically by myself. BTW, I think I scared him. :D He's a lot nicer to me now ... :naughty:

Plucking a bird is a whole nuther adventure ...

Dirty Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife has been on me to build a whiz bang chicken plucker. Pretty much the same thing just inside of a plastic 50gallon drum. Anyone have one or ever used one??? Also we have started raising rabbits too. Started with 3 now have 12. 9 are small about 1-2 months old. I lost a litter of 8 baby's one day when it was 7deg. out and she birthed out of the nest box on the wire. I checked on her at 4pm she was fine. Came back at 5pm 8 dead babies stuck to the frozen wire. My wife broke down. That sucked. Can't wait to eat some rabbits.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife has been on me to build a whiz bang chicken plucker. Pretty much the same thing just inside of a plastic 50gallon drum. Anyone have one or ever used one??? Also we have started raising rabbits too. Started with 3 now have 12. 9 are small about 1-2 months old. I lost a litter of 8 baby's one day when it was 7deg. out and she birthed out of the nest box on the wire. I checked on her at 4pm she was fine. Came back at 5pm 8 dead babies stuck to the frozen wire. My wife broke down. That sucked. Can't wait to eat some rabbits.

Was it her first litter?

Latest posts

Top Bottom