Choose my next pocket knife

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seeing as how things didn't work out for my DPX HEST/f (lots of drama over on Blade Forums, a recall, a couple of issues, and them being sent back to Italy and delayed multiple times - so I finally cancelled my Limited Edition order), I'm looking for a decent pocket knife.

I'm not looking to spend $250 anymore, but I'd do $120-$150 for the right knife. I dislike most of the Benchmade knives I've seen lately (no offense to them, I have much respect for Benchmade, but I'm just not looking for one). I like Kershaw, but dislike a lot of the materials they use in their blades (not an AUS8 fan). I'm not a complete D2 snob, and have actually been reading up on VG10 and sort of want to give it a try (S30V is also on my list). I've been reading and watching reviews of many of these knives and I'm down to these few (I think the ZT302 is out due to the extra fat blade - I've owned knives before with similar profiles and found that they weren't very useful - I've also crossed the Spyderco ParaMilitary 2 off the list too I think).

I'm mainly looking for a utilitarian take-with-me-camping, open boxes, use on anything I can think of knife - not a SD knife (I've got fixed blades for that). Not hard use necessarily, but I don't want a knife that will fail.

I really want a Kershaw Tyrade 1850, but my only option is used there, and bladeforums seems to be the only place that has them anymore.

[Broken External Image]

I've been looking into Spyderco knives and I really like a few of them, but can't decide.

For instance, I like both the SuperLeaf and the Caly 3.5. I like the wire clip, but prefer the one on the Caly as it is closer to the tail end of the scales and allows for a low carry (with only a wire on the outside of the pocket - doesn't look much like a knife). I don't like the looks of the Caly 3.5 and its weak-point at the smaller part of the choil/jimping concerns me. I'm not sure about a compression lock (on the SuperLeaf), but I like the fact that the Super-Leaf is assembled with screws (which the Caly 3.5 is pinned).

Caly 3.5 Removed - I think this one is out of the running after reading some more reviews about its design:

Superleaf:

http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_detail.html?s=SP140GP

aimages.knifecenter.com_knifecenter_spyderco_knives_images_SP140GP.jpg

I also really like the Gayle Bradley, but hate that its made in Taiwan (no one has anything negative to say about that fact though - seems to be an ultra tough knife). Seems tough and well-made overall.

http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_detail.html?s=SP134CFP

aimages.knifecenter.com_knifecenter_spyderco_knives_images_SP134CFPa.jpg

Oh - One other is the Manix 2

http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_detail.html?s=SP101GP2

aimages.knifecenter.com_knifecenter_spyderco_knives_images_SP101GP2.jpg

Edited to add the Spyderco ParaMilitary

http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_detail.html?s=SP81GPCMO2

aimages.knifecenter.com_knifecenter_spyderco_knives_images_SP81GPCMO2.jpg

Last edited:

mavrick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
EZ I had the tyrade but not the limited edition. I had the one with black G10 handles its a slick knife I ended up selling it to get a benchmade auto.

dustin

sumoj275

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got my production model DPX/Hest in on last thursday or friday and have carried it since. I love how deep the knife sits in pocket, the blade came sharp (even more so now after a little work and ceramic), the blade lends itself for good cutting angles, the bottle opener acts like a wave option when deploying out of the pocket, etc. My only complaint is it is a little stiff for opening with the stud--I might loosen the nut but not yet. Give it a look, the production is a lot better than the LE from what I hear.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How about the Spyderco Military or the ZT 0200?

The only problem I have with the ZT 200 is that it weights .4oz less than the zt 302. I like the thinner blade design, but its really friggin heavy (8oz) and even with the thinner blade, its still a very fat blade with a very round belly and the handle/blade make for a pretty thick carry piece.

I'd actually considered the zt 350, but they go back to the super-fat blade design with that one. I'd honestly consider the zt 400 if it came in anything other than a tanto-point.

I've sort of eliminated the Spyderco Para-Military, but not completely. I'm not looking for a knife as large as the Military, but the Para-Military is a good knife by everyone's standards and is about the size I'm looking for - so technically, I should put it on the list I guess.

I've carried a spyderco native for 15 years and love it.

Really not a fan of spearpoints - I saw the Native 4 Carbon Fiber and liked it, but its a little smaller than what I'm looking for overall.

EZ I had the tyrade but not the limited edition. I had the one with black G10 handles its a slick knife I ended up selling it to get a benchmade auto.

dustin
OK man, not you got me curious - what model Benchmade did you get? I'm curious as to what you didn't like about the Tyrade. I'm not completely opposed to all Benchmade models, but 90% of the knives I've felt didn't fit my hand well, were ugly (in my opinion), and didn't offer a good feel over-all - too long and stick-like, not really good for doing delicate work or utilitarian work. I respect the hell out of their US-made knives and love what they've done with various materials on their nicer models, but I've just never found one that fit me well.

I got my production model DPX/Hest in on last thursday or friday and have carried it since. I love how deep the knife sits in pocket, the blade came sharp (even more so now after a little work and ceramic), the blade lends itself for good cutting angles, the bottle opener acts like a wave option when deploying out of the pocket, etc. My only complaint is it is a little stiff for opening with the stud--I might loosen the nut but not yet. Give it a look, the production is a lot better than the LE from what I hear.

You're killing me man - that was by all accounts, the perfect knife, but from what I understand, none of the LE orders that are left un-filled have gotten their knives, so its still going to be a while. If I wanted a prod model, I'd have to get in line and wait again, and I'm not looking to do that right now (or support Robert Pelton to be honest).

I might pick up one used in the future, but for now, its outta sight for me.

In all honestly, auto or assisted is not that important to me - its nice, but not a deal breaker.

langston302

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would go with the mannix 2 myself. One of these days we should sit down and discuss steel. I have a pretty vast collection and have handled/owned/traded/sold more knives than I ever care to count. I always end up with a spyderco. I have been sold on them.

Another option would be the Al Mar SERE I have carried one of those for 3 years and it is beyond all accounts the perfect pocket knife for me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom