Chronographed the Lott today

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Chronographed the factory Hornady Soft point .458 Lott in my No. 1 today. There were two reasons for this.
1) I've read that loads for the .458WM are rated 2150 but in reality they dont actually get near those velocities, so people are out trying to hunt DG with less firepower than they are expecting.
2) I wanted a baseline for loading up those Speer Tungsten Core Solids I got, my plan is to try and match velocities of the factory loads I will be shooting. Now I have a range to aim for to hopefully be pretty close.

Now for the results:
Its 500gr rated at 2300fps per the box. I will have to check barrel length but I am guessing its a bit shorter than the Hornady test barrel. It was 80F out today so potentially in the heat of the summer (or in Africa) I may see a bit more speed out of these. I was pleased with the results which are as follows:
Shot 1: 2262
Shot 2: 2278
Shot 3: 2288
Shot 4: 2266
Shot 5: 2276
Avg: 2274
Hi: 2288
Lo: 2262
SD: 10
ES: 26

I dont know what kind of spread you guys shoot for, I am far from a precision guy but I will say that per the chronograph these were more consistent than the Federal Gold Metal Match .308 is from my bolt gun (which had an ES of 35) and the results kinda surprised me.

Also using that data, looks like a 3" MPBR with this ammo would be 162yds with an 18yd Zero. That's not too shabby!

Last edited:

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fun tidbit, a buddy and I took a few odds and ends to the range and the lane over was a guy with his wife and two young kids. The boy was all kinds of interested in what we had and I let his dad shoot the Lott and it knocked him back a step or two.
When my buddy got his folded up tripod out, the kid was like "Oh man is that a MINIGUN???" Man..I wish but the kid knew a thing or two!

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looking good! I never have chrono'd my 458WM, but they have always said the factory ammo will not make the advertised 2150 and I bet that's true. I have a partial box of factory ammo and various handloads. I really should check them all one of these days. I think I left all of the 500 grain Barnes handloads with the PH before we left camp.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know its wrong but a part of me was hoping to see photos of a chrono that had been hit with a .458 Lott as I read this post. Okay photos of what you could find left.

I would say those numbers are easily 1 Minute of Elephant

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know its wrong but a part of me was hoping to see photos of a chrono that had been hit with a .458 Lott as I read this post. Okay photos of what you could find left.

I would say those numbers are easily 1 Minute of Elephant

How about photos of an old cell phone disabled by a .458 Win Mag instead? I warned him it bites at both ends!

Chad & 458.png

Latest posts

Top Bottom