Civilian training anxiety

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

98pointsix

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I really want to get some advanced type firearms training. The only problem is Im a tax accountant and honestly I feel kind of intimidated taking a law enforcement oriented class full of LEO's. My interest is more recreational than anything else it just seems like it would be alot of fun. I just dont want to look like an ass. The problem I have is the "Basic stuff" that I have been able to find is so basic all they cover is safety and operation, both of these are important but I have that covered. I want to learn more refined techniques, different types of grips, stances, shooting from different, and defensive positions. I would also like to take a carbine class I dropped all this cash on an AR I would like to hae some real fun with it, shooting it from a rest is cool and all for about the first 100 rounds or so but I could have dont that with my marlin model 60. Its kinda like only driving your Corvette in the driveway.

Im curious if there are alot of regular joes at these classes?
What kind of gear should I be looking at ? I realize Iwill need a rifle,handgun,mags,and ammo, but is there anything else that will help me look a bit less noobish. Lests face it no one likes to look like a noob even if you are one.

What Im kinda getting at is where should I start?
How do I keep from looking like an ass?
Do you think Im being to self conscious and most of the people there dont give a crap about what im doing as long as Im not pointing my weapon in thier direction?
Does anyone let you sit in on a class before having to participate so I can see if I need anything specific or if it is my level?

OK thats about it, I appreciate the look and input.

bratch

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are several ways to go about it.

First is to just jump into a class and have at it. Find a reputable instructor and start with their first class. There are several good instructors based out of OK and several traveling trainers that come through here.

Classes will be a mix of LE and civilians; from my experiences most of the civilians will be middle aged with good jobs. Everyone is usually pretty helpful. If you can find a buddy to take it with you'll be even happier because you'll already know at least one person.

Gear varies from class to class but I use my carry gear for my pistol classes. The instructor can tell you what you need and what they have seen work and fail.

I'd find a class you were interested in and email the instructor with your concerns and questions. They should be able to give you some guidance on what to expect.

You can also buy a DVD to get an idea of what goes on in a class and some of the drills. If I did this before a class I'd use it just for information until I'd taken the class. It would be counter productive to buy a DVD and try the drills only to do them wrong and install bad habits. After taking a class with hands on instruction you'd be able to use a DVD as a refresher with a lower chance of instilling bad habits.

As long as you are safe with your gun you'll be fine; you are there to learn not know everything.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The basic classes around here, i.e. USSA, TDSA are going to be mostly non-LE simply because there are more of them.

Do not be intimidated in the slightest.

Either way, some cops are excellent shooters; the vast majority are very mediocre.

Being a dedicated practitioner puts just about anyone ahead of the average cop in terms of gun-handling ability. The only advantages police have over the average joe is the frequency with which they deal with stressful situations.

That said, the number of dedicated practitioners is also extremely small in the gun community, so jump in and become a dedicated practitioner and never worry about it again.

Michael Brown

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can get all kinds of free training and trigger time by shooting some local competitions. You can also meet several of the TDSA and USSA shooters that instruct in the courses you are thinking about taking.
Come out and shoot the 3 gun match with us Sunday at OKC gun club. There are pistol matches almost every weekend in Tulsa or OKC or elswhere around the state. Once you get a good feel for shooting the different scenerios under the stress of a timer and bring watched by other shooters at the matches you won't be worried about training with Military or LE students because you will be a better shooter than most if them.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You will be pleasantly surprised at how helpful and non-judgmental the shooters at the IDPA and IPSC matches are. These guys are absolutely tickled pink to see a new shooter come out and try their hand. When I first started shooting I was the only woman a lot of the time and I NEVER EVER felt out of place or looked down upon. (Listen, they got me "up and running" so to speak, so believe me, you are good to go! LOL)

You are only new at this once. Just go, mind your safety rules and have fun. Believe me, the only regret you will have is that you didn't make the leap sooner.

A trip from McAlester to USSA for one or two of their classes would be well worth your time and money. There is not a better facility or better instructors in this part of the nation, IMO.

LWysocki

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have had the pleasure of training with TDSA, USSA, Practical Shooting, and a few others......speaking from my own experience, I am too busy worrying about my own shooting to notice what the other students are doing in class.....we are blessed to have such fine shooting schools here in Oklahoma (and in surrounding states)-take advantage of it Sir!

Al

Nik

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
First off, simply relax. 99.9% of those getting training (whether they be an average Joe citizen like myself or a law enforcement officer) are good people and easy to get along with. There is always that 0.1% that are a PITA so just ignore them. Meeting and socializing with other shooting enthusiasts is one of the most enjoyable parts of the gun community.

Time and budget will play a role in what training you select. Some places offer all day or multi-day courses, yet they are more costly and take more time to complete. I have never taken these but would like to once my schedule permits.

With that said, I recommend you contact Will Andrews at Oklahoma Shooting Skills (OSS) (http://www.oklahomashootingskills.com/) . He teaches out of H&H Gun Range in Oklahoma City. I have taken many of his pistol courses (every level except #5) and found them to be extremely valuable.

The courses he hosts usually only have around 20 people so you are not overwhelmed by a large group, and you get proper attention/assistance when attempting to learn a particular thing. I think you find his drills are easy to learn and very useful. Another advantage of the OSS is their relative low cost (all are under $100). In addition, the courses range from 4 to 8 hours on a Sunday, which is good for me due to a pretty intense work regimen.

In my experience, about 15% of the participants were involved in private security, 10% were in law enforcement, and 75% were just armed citizens. Other than Will (who is a hell of a shooter) and one of his instructor assistants, there are 0% Wyatt Earps. You will not be embarrassed if you miss a shot or if you run slower than expected. Their focus is for you to learn the proper method so you can practice correctly (not just practice -- correct practice), which will in turn lead to speed and accuracy.

If you do not have a holster or mag pouch, it is likely that OSS has one for the firearm you shoot, and they will lend them to you during the course free of charge. You simply need to coordinate the supplies with Will prior to the course date.

Lastly, regardless if you are just at the range or in a class with others, always follow ALL gun safety rules and no one will ever have a problem with you. :buttkick:

Lance Jensen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The basic classes around here, i.e. USSA, TDSA are going to be mostly non-LE simply because there are more of them.

Do not be intimidated in the slightest.

Either way, some cops are excellent shooters; the vast majority are very mediocre.

Being a dedicated practitioner puts just about anyone ahead of the average cop in terms of gun-handling ability. The only advantages police have over the average joe is the frequency with which they deal with stressful situations.

That said, the number of dedicated practitioners is also extremely small in the gun community, so jump in and become a dedicated practitioner and never worry about it again.

Michael Brown

Very well stated

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just sign up and go shoot. The entire shooting community is pretty non-judgemental around here. About the only thing you'll be judged on is safety. Trust me, you want everyone judged critically on that point.

Milezc9

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I really want to get some advanced type firearms training. The only problem is Im a tax accountant and honestly I feel kind of intimidated taking a law enforcement oriented class full of LEO's. My interest is more recreational than anything else it just seems like it would be alot of fun. I just dont want to look like an ass. The problem I have is the "Basic stuff" that I have been able to find is so basic all they cover is safety and operation, both of these are important but I have that covered. I want to learn more refined techniques, different types of grips, stances, shooting from different, and defensive positions. I would also like to take a carbine class I dropped all this cash on an AR I would like to hae some real fun with it, shooting it from a rest is cool and all for about the first 100 rounds or so but I could have dont that with my marlin model 60. Its kinda like only driving your Corvette in the driveway.

Im curious if there are alot of regular joes at these classes?
What kind of gear should I be looking at ? I realize Iwill need a rifle,handgun,mags,and ammo, but is there anything else that will help me look a bit less noobish. Lests face it no one likes to look like a noob even if you are one.

What Im kinda getting at is where should I start?
How do I keep from looking like an ass?
Do you think Im being to self conscious and most of the people there dont give a crap about what im doing as long as Im not pointing my weapon in thier direction?
Does anyone let you sit in on a class before having to participate so I can see if I need anything specific or if it is my level?

OK thats about it, I appreciate the look and input.

Completely off topic but what firm are you at if you don't mind me asking? I'm about to graduate with my degree and hopefully onto the CPA. Just curious.

Latest posts

Top Bottom