1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. All members receive 3 free listings a month. Get unlimited listings for just $10 a year! Click here for all the info.

Classified only posters

Discussion in 'Site News & Feedback' started by Catt57, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Ignored Member

Ignored Member Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I guess that was a more simplified response than what you were looking for.
    I'm not talking about those who participate, I'm talking about those who post multiple listings for various items for sale one after another and nothing else.
    It's obviously just dealers (probably from every lame gunshow in the state) that have found a new way to attempt to sell their wares without gunbroker fees or table fees.

2. Gunbuffer

Gunbuffer Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    :clap3:

Ignored Member likes this.
  3. Ignored Member

Rating
    100%
    I'm pretty sure you meant Adam Sandler.

4. Gunbuffer

Gunbuffer Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Eugene Sandow?

5. druryj

druryj Administrator Staff Member

Administrator Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Oh, okay then.

6. Ignored Member

Rating
    100%
    No. His 3rd cousin on his mom's side twice removed.

7. Oklahomabassin

Oklahomabassin Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    My 2 cents for @Okuma you may have bought OSA but you didn't buy its members. Without the members you have a website. Be careful...

8. Catt57

Catt57 Gill-Gun Guru

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    First a warning. Despite trying not to make this a rant I'm afraid it may have turned into one.

When I first made this thread it was out of frustration and a way to vent. I didn't know it would hit such a nerve with the community. It was prompted by a few different things that happened within a relatively short time. Being a supporter I use the "feed" quite a bit now. (For those that don't have it - you get to see a listing of posts made across the forum in near real time.) And I kept seeing bulk posts in the classifieds from the same handful of "members" that were flooding the feed. This prompted me to go look at the classifieds (more to browse from curiosity than to investigate). Once I started to browse however, I noticed that there are some "members" with post counts in the several 100's that have NEVER posted outside of the classifieds. These are not "members" they are defacto DEALERS taking advantage of our community for their own gain without making any contribution.

Upon looking at it further I found that a very large # of the "members" listing here have never been outside of the classifieds. In fact trying to locate listings by contributing members required more work than should be required. At this point I was upset by this and made my initial post.

Having seen the response this has generated I now know I am not alone in these feelings. I have not been a member here nearly as long as some of you have, but I do take pride in the community we have here. It just feels wrong that what we had as a comfortable, semi-secure marketplace for the members is turning into a free-for-all for those that could care less about the forum and are just using what has taken years to build, for free advertising of their "businesses".

I fully understand that yes, this has primarily been an emotional response. And I understand that Steve has a different view on this. But my pride in this forum required that I speak up and let my feelings be known, for better or worse. I thank everyone that has responded, and I hope both sides will continue the discussion. This is how we grow and improve. And I hope that despite any preconceived ideas he may have, that Steve would be willing to acknowledge and consider the views and feelings of the contributing members here regardless of which side of the fence anyone is on.

/steps down off the soapbox and promptly trips....

edit: typos

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  9. DavidMcMillan

DavidMcMillan Enjoy your life!

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Not sure, but I believe more damage is done to this forum by the name calling, arguing, and "I'm a bigger supporter of 2A than you are" than debating the use of classified section. Through buying, selling, and trading, I have met many members and have had great conversations. I probably would not have had the opportunity to meet these folks otherwise.

Pokinfun and CorpsVet like this.
  10. Dr. HK

Dr. HK Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Bugs me too, I have to wade through all the high priced items to see something good. For example there is a LCP for sale and they are $169 new yet this person wants prices when the LCP first came out what 7 years ago. Normally I would just not look at the ad and move on. However it seems there are more and more of these people.

is there a way to get a ratio? For example you have to have 20 meaningful responses before you can post anything for sale. Then 20 more post before you can post something else for sale? Or maybe 1 for sale post per month free, and if you want more you have to pay a monthly fee.