CMP Garand finally arrived

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKjoe

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
HRA service grade. 5612XXX serial number (mid 1955 production?)

012.jpg

014.jpg

008.jpg

025.jpg

Have not detail stripped it yet.

Last edited:

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nice rifle - it's within about 1,000 units of the HRA I'll be putting up for sale soon. Same barrel date and heat lot number, too.

Looking forward to hearing what parts your rifle came with. Is that a birch stock? The rack number on the left-hand side is interesting; is it on a label affixed to the wood, or is the wood sanded or scraped down in that spot? How was the number made - stamped, engraved, inked, or what? Is there a tiny "X" on the end of the grip area?

OKjoe

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks. I am very happy with this rifle (much better condition than I expected). This is my first Garand and I have much to learn. Plan to post more info this weekend.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Joe, the pics look good! It appears the stock is a depot replacement birch issue, along with the front hand guard - the latter seems to have some faint figuring, as well. The rear HG looks like it's walnut? The rack number appears to have been done with paint or a marker, with a layer of varnish applied over it to preserve it? It's an interesting variant in rack numbers, for sure.

Looking forward to hearing about the parts breakdown.

Latest posts

Top Bottom