CMP Price Increases

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ugh... been wanting a Garand for a long time. Looking at that Special grade one for $1k... but I don't meet any of the requirements. Any ideas? (Talking about the marksmanship/competition one)

Check into a shooting club membership.
Our range is $175 the first year, and $75 a year afterward. The clubs have to be a NRA certified range to qualify for a CMP deal.

cz_partizan

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can do an Appleseed for the competition portion, Its around $40 for one day or $60 for two. Its a pretty cool weekend course that focuses on the fundamentals of marksmanship. They run several a year in OKC and Tulsa, I think henschman here on the forum runs the program in Oklahoma if you want more info.

Alternatively, a concealed weapons license or a Curio & Relic license will also satisfy for the shooting portion. I think I it took just under a month for the turn around on my C&R.

Last edited:

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So what grade do most buy?
Been browsing the site this evening.

It depends. Those wanting more WW2 parts, and a better chance at a USGI stock, generally order Field Grades. Those wanting nicer rifles who will accept a higher probability of a post-war receiver and a CMP stock order the Service Grade. Unfortunately, those choosing the latter will not be able to pick the manufacturer - currently, they will get a Springfield or a Harrington & Richardson. Not a bad deal, mind you, unless you're really wanting one maker and you get the other.

I haven't placed an order in a good while due to the reported decline in overall quality of the rifles being sent out, but with the coming price increase I may try one more time. It's sad to see the "good old days" of the all-WW2 Field Grades and minty Service Grades come to a close, unless the CMP has an unannounced high-quality stash coming back from another country.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ugh... been wanting a Garand for a long time. Looking at that Special grade one for $1k... but I don't meet any of the requirements. Any ideas? (Talking about the marksmanship/competition one)

Are you a veteran? If so, it qualifies you for the shooting activity...then you just need to join a club, like the Garand Collectors Association. If you are current or retired military you don't have to do join anything.

So what grade do most buy?
Been browsing the site this evening.

Perplexed is the pro at this DH. If you want the best chance of getting a shooter and don't care about which era you get, I'd go for the Service Grade.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The M1 Garand is a fine weapon Dennis. It is heavy though. 10lbs maybe more, but extremely accurate. I had to qualify with the M1 when I went to Boot Camp. We had to drill and exercise with the weapon.
IIRC, an M1 Garand and an M16A2 both weigh in right around 8lbs (not counting any tacticool geegaws).

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's been a while since I checked the CMP Rifle Sales page; apparently you cannot even pick the maker of a Field Grade M1 - you'll get either a SA or a HRA, depending on what's next in line when your order is processed. Consequently, the chances of getting WW2 parts go down even further, so I'd recommend a Service Grade if you just want a nice shooter with low barrel wear and don't mind getting a commercial stock set.

OKC_Jim

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Happen to know anybody that is either Law Enforcement or a Range Safety Officer? If so, they can observe you while shooting and fill out the form.

If you really want to do so, do so sooner rather than later. When I first found the CMP they had both garands and carbines. I thought to myself I'd like to have one of each some day. Then they ran out of carbines. It is starting to look like garands are on the way out now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom