CMP process and ammo questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A few CMP questions,

Does the CMP notify you when order paperwork has been received? When rifle has shipped?
How long is the current fulfillment taking, and how bad has the current panic affected M1s?
As far as Garand ammo is concerned, any specific recommendations? Is CMP 30.06 ammo reasonably priced?

thanks.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The CMP will notify you via email that your order is being processed (also known as the DBU, "Don't Bother Us"), and they will also send you the tracking info once they've boxed up your purchase for shipment. I haven't been following the timeline closely for a while, but you can expect several weeks to two months between the DBU and the tracking info for a rifle; usually a bit less for ammo or other merchandise. I don't know just how much the panic has affected the CMP sales of rifles, but they have reported an upswing in sales for the month of December.

As for the ammo for a M1 Garand, the CMP is the place to buy it, and they're currently selling Greek HXP, 200 loose rounds in an ammo can. Not only is it the correct ammo for a M1, the CMP also has the best prices around, bar none. You won't find it cheaper anywhere else unless you're BFF with or related to the seller.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
+1 to everything perplexed posted. Too bad they're out of the ammo already packaged in clips & bandoleers.

They do have some clipped ammo in sealed spam cans, but they've said they're hanging onto that stuff until after they sell out of the loose HXP. In other words, when they put up the sealed, clipped ammo for sale, we're at the end of the ammo line unless they find some more somewhere else. My WAG is that will occur this coming fall or winter, and I believe the clipped stuff will sell out fast.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is that the M2 Ball Greek HXP for 98$?

That's it. Great stuff, easily as good as Lake City, though a few of the HXP orders they've sent out have been a literal mixed bag of various head stamps - not only HXP, but also Winchester, Remington, Western Cartridge, and one or two others, with dates ranging from the mid 1940s to the late 1970s. Condition of these orders also varied from "decent" with a fair amount of tarnish to "excellent", and you should separate the corrosive stuff from the non-corrosive. My last order, luckily, was composed solely of HXP in excellent condition, dated either '77 or '78. Probably delinked ammo, but don't make the mistake of calling it "MG ammo" since it's exactly the same ammo that was used in the M1 Garand.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks. I mailed my order form on the 31st. Hope to hear from them soon.

You should be able to get set up with an E-store account too, and IIRC, you will be able to track your order in there...at least see when it goes to processing.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's it. Great stuff, easily as good as Lake City, though a few of the HXP orders they've sent out have been a literal mixed bag of various head stamps - not only HXP, but also Winchester, Remington, Western Cartridge, and one or two others, with dates ranging from the mid 1940s to the late 1970s. Condition of these orders also varied from "decent" with a fair amount of tarnish to "excellent", and you should separate the corrosive stuff from the non-corrosive. My last order, luckily, was composed solely of HXP in excellent condition, dated either '77 or '78. Probably delinked ammo, but don't make the mistake of calling it "MG ammo" since it's exactly the same ammo that was used in the M1 Garand.

Thanks for the reminder, Todd. I've gone back and forth on whether to buy some but I'm ordering a couple cans tomorrow. I just renewed by membership to the GCA so I could place an order.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the reminder, Todd. I've gone back and forth on whether to buy some but I'm ordering a couple cans tomorrow. I just renewed by membership to the GCA so I could place an order.

You should do so. There's no way of telling when or if the CMP will get any more surplus ammo, at least in the quantities we've enjoyed these past few years. I really wish I had bought more of the sealed spam cans, but the loose stuff is just as good and you don't have to hem and haw about breaking the seal on the can :wink2:

Latest posts

Top Bottom