CMP Special Garand in 308 ????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dieseltech09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anybody have one of the CMP Special grades in 308? I got a nice bonus from work and I'm going to use part of it to buy a Garand from CMP before they all dry up. I dont really know much about these rifles but for some reason seem to be leaning towards the 308. With surplus ammo drying up is there much cost difference between the '06 a and the 308? I know the Special Grade doesn't have the "History" the service grades do but I am just looking for a shooter not a collector. I am open to any and all input as I am planning on putting the order form in the mail Friday morning. Thanks.

Nimaro

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have one. There were some chambered in .308 issued in limited numbers to the Navy as I understand it. And my reasoning was the same as yours as far as surplus ammo cost.

bsmith918

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have one and also live in Edmond. PM me if you want to stop by on Friday/Saturday and look over it. It is pretty much a new gun w/o history, just like you said.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you really want a "battle rifle" shooter chambered for .308, get a M1A. A new, standard M1A will cost several hundred bucks more, but it's a significant improvement on the M1 Garand. The .308 Garand is something of a novelty, and as others here mentioned, the original ones were made for the Navy, in two iterations. The first version had pressed-in chamber sleeves, and the second version had barrels turned specifically for the shorter .308 round. The CMP Special (308) has a new production Criterion barrel.

As for ammo costs, the surplus 30-06 still has the edge over surplus 7.62 NATO (59 cents per round versus 60-70 cents per round), but the margin is shrinking with each passing year. The big difference right now is that the boxer-primed HXP is readily available from the CMP, and you can buy 2000 rounds annually, while the availability of reloadable surplus 7.62 NATO is a hit-and-miss proposition.

Personally, I'd just mail off an order for a Service Grade HRA - that's what's available now - and put the difference toward HXP ammo. You'd end up with a nice shooter and 600 rounds of HXP for what it'd cost to buy a Special alone.

dieseltech09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the input everyone. After a little more research I ended up going with the HRA Service Grade. Going to have my forms notarized in the morning and get them in the mail. Let the waiting begin. Ill start another thread tomorrow so I can keep a timeline and then post pics once I get it.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the input everyone. After a little more research I ended up going with the HRA Service Grade. Going to have my forms notarized in the morning and get them in the mail. Let the waiting begin. Ill start another thread tomorrow so I can keep a timeline and then post pics once I get it.

Congrats. I need to get my M1 out and spend a little time with it.

Lone Wolf '49

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you really want a "battle rifle" shooter chambered for .308, get a M1A. A new, standard M1A will cost several hundred bucks more, but it's a significant improvement on the M1 Garand. The .308 Garand is something of a novelty, and as others here mentioned, the original ones were made for the Navy, in two iterations. The first version had pressed-in chamber sleeves, and the second version had barrels turned specifically for the shorter .308 round. The CMP Special (308) has a new production Criterion barrel.

As for ammo costs, the surplus 30-06 still has the edge over surplus 7.62 NATO (59 cents per round versus 60-70 cents per round), but the margin is shrinking with each passing year. The big difference right now is that the boxer-primed HXP is readily available from the CMP, and you can buy 2000 rounds annually, while the availability of reloadable surplus 7.62 NATO is a hit-and-miss proposition.

Personally, I'd just mail off an order for a Service Grade HRA - that's what's available now - and put the difference toward HXP ammo. You'd end up with a nice shooter and 600 rounds of HXP for what it'd cost to buy a Special alone.

This, and that is enough. If you want a 308 or 7.62X51 then get an M1A. But what do I know? I am old. Had one of the Navy 308's for my collection years ago and sold it and many others off.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I belies that the 30.06 are more sought after and are easily sold that the .308. I have three, two specials and a service grade. Interesting that one of the service grades has a 1943 receiver.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have CMP Specials in both .308 and a .30-06 and enjoy both. The .308 is not the Navy version - the only physical difference in them is the chambering and a spacer at the front of the magazine intended to prevent loading .30-06 rounds into the .308 chambered rifle.

On a practical basis I don't have to worry about shooting pretty much any standard commercial ammunition in the .308 - conventional wisdom is that the reduced cartridge volume means that operating rod damaging pressure spikes aren't the concern that they are with commercial ammo in the .30-06 rifles (unless using adjustable or ported gas plugs). I also think that when the .30-06 milsurp runs out the ammo cost and availability will remain a bit better for .308 just because it's still a currently produced and used military caliber.

As regards the M1A - great rifle, love my standard, but the .308 Garand gets more range time just because it's more fun to shoot. :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom