Coated lead bullets

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd like to start reloading again and the polymer coated bullets are really intriguing to me. I'll probably start out reloading 9mm. There are several companies out there selling these coated projectile and I'd like to hear what the reloaders here are using. Thanks.

zipty6

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I really like the Hi-Tek coated bullets from Missouri Bullett Company.

I have also heard great things about Bayou Bullets. I received my first 1000 from them yesterday, but have yet to load them.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Anyone here run the coated bullets through stock Glock barrels?

That's my biggest question before running a bunch of them. I hate having to keep track of "this ammo for this gun, that ammo for that gun..."

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have used 9mm and 45 Blue Bullets in both my Glocks and PCC. I load to the same data as a lead bullet. They don't smoke like lead bullets. No leading in the barrels so far.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone here run the coated bullets through stock Glock barrels?

That's my biggest question before running a bunch of them. I hate having to keep track of "this ammo for this gun, that ammo for that gun..."

No issues at all. USPSA shooters run thousands of them.

Bayou, S&S, Missouri, BBI, and my personal favorite ACME are all using the Hi-Tech coating. It's the best thing since sliced bread. Like shooting plain lead, I won't touch a moly bullet now, they're just too messy. I don't want black residue all over me and my press. I'd still steer clear of titegroup powder but many use it with the Hi-Tech coated without issue. I save it for jacketed. Blue bullets are a different coating but seems to work very well. If they would size their 9mm at .356 like everyone else they would probably shoot a little better. They have a new 135 grain no lube groove TC bullet that I really want to work but I'm still working on getting the groups better. Pricing and customer service are fantastic.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm pretty much exclusive with BBI (black bullets international). Just got in an order of 1000, so that will put me at 4000 so far.
I ordered a sample pack of blue bullets, but my M&P 5" Pro just doesn't like them for some reason. The diameter and OAL is the same as BBI, but they have a little bit different ogive and hang up going into the chamber. I'll experiment with seating them at different depths and see if that clears up the issue.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Shadowrider, do you mind sharing why you prefer ACME over the others?

They ship in these really cool wooden boxes that are laser cut and engraved. That's if you buy the case qty, I don't know about smaller qty's. They also put in a small wooden box (built the same way) of candy. It pacifies the wife. Also with the Brian Enos forum discount they are the cheapest I've seen (by a tiny amount).

But really, all of the companies I listed are good quality bullets and give great customer service. As far as the bullets go, there really isn't a difference that I have seen as most are using magma engineering moulds and casting machines. Bayou seems to have the biggest selection of bullets out of them all though...

Latest posts

Top Bottom