Cold Steel

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firefighterguy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They recently switched from Aus-8 to cts-Xhp which makes them a great value now imo. I can't stand their marketing and lock strength videos and that keeps me from buying one. I handled the code 4 the other day and it's quite tempting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cal7.62x39

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cold steel is my go to for years now. My current go to is a spartian its big, heavy, obnoxious, and cuts through saplings then are able to shave with it. I call it my pocket machete. For slightly less bad assery I have an Ak47 I have carried for 7 years. Funny thing they dont say china on it like someone indicated, mine say Taiwan AUS-8. Are they emerson or spiderco? Maybe not, but the value can not be beat.

20160103_174027.jpg
20160103_174037.jpg
20160103_174509.jpg
20160103_174515.jpg

furlong222

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
will qualify the knives of Alaska recommendation....they are cutters not wood processors....built too thin for the heavy stuff - have an alpha wolf with s30v steel....cant beat it under 100.00 for knife work

randallss7

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cold steel is my go to for years now. My current go to is a spartian its big, heavy, obnoxious, and cuts through saplings then are able to shave with it. I call it my pocket machete. For slightly less bad assery I have an Ak47 I have carried for 7 years. Funny thing they dont say china on it like someone indicated, mine say Taiwan AUS-8. Are they emerson or spiderco? Maybe not, but the value can not be beat.

View attachment 52761
View attachment 52762
View attachment 52763
View attachment 52764

I have the same two folders and also have the master hunter in VG-1 San Mai III its a good knife, I don't carry it much as I made myself one I like better, anyway all 3 seem to be good knives. I always liked the looks of the Outdoorsman but never got around to picking one up.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
the san mai pictured is a great knife but doesn't fit under 100.00 bucks....look at Knives of Alaska for a first rate under 100 knife...or spend a bit more for a blackjack - Effingham Illinois or a bark river....around 150 for those....or....get 6 mora knives...

good point .. the original CS Tanto was not san mai and retailed under $100 .. then later CS came out with a black coated Tanto for $69 retail. I've purchased several used older Cold Steel blade for under $100 .. most everyone that's owned an original version cold steel are pretty happy.

my original trailmaster carbon V was purchased for $75 used .. here someone just scored an original carbon V trailmaster for $109 on ebay http://coldsteelforums.com/SCORE-Carbon-V-Trail-Master-m221139.aspx

i.ebayimg.com_images_g_Xp4AAOSwnipWWjL4_s_l1600.jpg

ssx2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a few Cold Steel products, and have found them very useful and practical. For the price you can't beat the Bushman its simplicity, toughness and versatility make it well worth the price. Needless to say I have more than one. The Recon's and the new Triad stuff are decent as well.

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Duck L'Orange - Are you still looking for a good knife? If so, please let me know. I have a cold Steel SRK from around 2003 that I carried in Iraq for about 27 Months and Afghanistan for about the same. I am retired now and cleaning out the "Army closet". I would like to see the knife go to someone for good use, not just hanging on my Battle Rattle. Free if ya promise to use it.

retired trucker

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll throw in with your friend, I'm a Cold Steel fan.
I'm a bit confused because you mentioned interest in a kukri but also mentioned sub 100.
Are you looking at their kukri machetes or maybe the Chaos Kukri?
I haven't handled any of the Chaos line, so I'm not sure. I have little carney hands so I'd want to hold one before purchasing.
The kukri machetes are cool, I'm a bit partial to the bolo style instead, but whatever works for you.
If you are looking at one of their full-on Kukri's, they're a bit more expensive, and I'd probably recommend looking at a Himalayan Imports model instead.
A friend of mine is very excited about the KA-BAR Becker/Reinhardt kukri, so maybe that's worth checking into also.
Now if you're talking about pocket knives, some of the Voyagers are on clearance to make room for new inventory using new steel or something.
Those are a really good deal, particularly if you're looking for a 4"+ blade, which most other manufacturers don't offer.
As to their videos, as I understand they are legit; they don't throw a hollow-ground edge on a knife for demonstration and sell it as a flat-grind for example.

Good luck,
Razur
you may want to check out condor knife and tool on the web

Latest posts

Top Bottom