College Carry Bill needs support!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
SB1363, authored by Senator AJ Griffin, would allow colleges, universities, and technology centers to set a weapons policy allowing for the carrying of weapons by SDA permit holders and giving immunity from liability arising from the decision to allow permit holders to carry.

This bill has to go through two committees. The first committee it is assigned to is the Senate Education Committee. It appears that Senator Ford may not allow the bill to be heard. Because the bill has to go through two committees, time is critical. Please call Senator Ford and ask him to schedule the bill for a hearing as soon as possible.
You may reach Senator Ford at 405-521-5634 or [email protected]

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The law already allows a university president to authorize carry on campus, haven't heard of any that authorize it on a general basis, can't see this Bill changing anything.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As the law is now the University president must give permission in a written letter which you must have with you when carrying. If a university or vocational school adopts a policy to allow carry the individual letter of permission would not be necessary and the school will have protection from liability.

Very different from current law and a positive step in the right direction.

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Passing another law that continues to allow a non elected individual or group to deny you the right of self defense based on their personal beliefs, it is NOT a step in the right direction.

As the law is currently written, a college or university president could easily implement a policy that allows anyone with a CCL to carry by simply asking for a "letter" which could be in the form of a simple "permission" card that could be carried with your SDA license.

I know of none that have done so, do you??

In arguing that this new law would remove liability, you first must prove that permitting carry would actually subject the school to liability. Can you show me where a college or university is currently liable if it allows carry according to existing law??

To think this law would make ANY significant progress in the ability to legally carry in such places is foolish.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As the law is currently written, a college or university president could easily implement a policy that allows anyone with a CCL to carry by simply asking for a "letter" which could be in the form of a simple "permission" card that could be carried with your SDA license.

I know of none that have done so, do you??

I do not. But the bill would eliminate the ability to not have individual permission that is now required. I agree that the law and the policies of any university to deny me the ability to defend myself without providing that security for me is wrong. But, I'd rather move in that direction that not at all. And in this legislative session that is the option.

Latest posts

Top Bottom