Colorado draw results.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Came to Colorado for the week and figured I’d be better off sighting my rifle in here at 7500 feet than at 1500 feet for a 11,000 foot shot! Last two shots with the the old 280AI at 400 yds. Bullseye and about 3” low right. I was pleased with that. One step closer!
49E7AE62-AEE0-40BF-A7B8-AF826308775C.jpeg

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Came to Colorado for the week and figured I’d be better off sighting my rifle in here at 7500 feet than at 1500 feet for a 11,000 foot shot! Last two shots with the the old 280AI at 400 yds. Bullseye and about 3” low right. I was pleased with that. One step closer!
View attachment 165864

You care to share the details of that load?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
View attachment 165864
Good group! I'm sure you know this, but just posting for some flat landers that have never shot in the mountains as general info.
I'll be shooting at 8600' in awhile on a range. It's a learning curve to change the ballistics from 900' above sea level to that altitude. We do it every year on an elk hunt at around 10,000'. Air density, humidity, angle etc all a factor getting on target.
Every thing from your 7500' range time will be totally different at 11K because of the above factors. Research shooting down hill and uphill as well. I totally missed a huge buck once because I didn't understand how gravity effects a bullet when shooting downhill or uphill.
Factoid of gravity. Shooting down hill at a 45 degree angle requires the same point of aim as shooting uphill at a 45 degree angle. Think about your archery experience. When shooting down at a deer, you aim high vs one on a level sight plane.
Gravity has the same effect on a bullet be it up hill or down hill at the same angle. It's hard for some folks to put that into their brain, but its fact.
Did a little looking around on the net and figured I'd better post a link to save you folks some keyboard time.
https://winchester.com/Blog/2017/09/dealing-with-elevation-while-shooting#:~:text=Shooting at a 45-degree,always compensate by aiming low.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You care to share the details of that load?

Yea it’s super simple to share. Hornady precision hunter ammo. If you haven’t shot it give it a try. It’s amazing stuff in almost any gun I’ve seen.

Rifle was a kimber mountain ascent. It’ll shoot 1/2-3/4” groups at 100 yds with that ammo typically.

Latest posts

Top Bottom