Colt 1911 Value

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctruptwn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Conversly here is a Augusta Arsenal rebuild "Mix Master". It is a Colt slide, Springfield frame and an assortment of various 1911 and 1911a1 parts. Augusta Arsenal is indicated by a flaming bomb and AA proof mark above the mag release.

[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
since it has a c in the serial number i would think it is a commercial government model. do you have the complete serial number? 6c402 isn't a correct number. where C6402 would.

doctruptwn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
since it has a c in the serial number i would think it is a commercial government model. do you have the complete serial number? 6c402 isn't a correct number. where C6402 would.

You are correct, that is why I suspected a marker mark for that number. Commercial models had either a leading or trailing "C". ie CXXXXX until about 1960 or XXXXXC post 1960. There are some frames that are considered pre 70 model built in the early 1970's that had an entirly different numbering system.

That number also doesn't make since for this gun. C2030 was last number for 1912 manufacture, C12204 was last number for 1914 production. Unless this is a mix master. I will continue to see what I can find.

doctruptwn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Upon further research I supect one of two things;

1. This is a Commercial model built around 1945

2. This is a "mix master" built at some point from several different 1911's

The slide is consistant with 1911-1919 and WWII Colt production. That roll mark was changed in 1920's and 30's and excluded the colt in the middle of the patent numbers. It was changed again post WWII, and has changed several times since. The 1911-1919 production frames however did not have 1911a1 Scalaps or Arched mainsprings.

The frame is deffently 1911a1 production making it post 1920 production. However if that is the serial number it puts its production as 1913, which is prior to the 1911a1 model.

That is the problem with these old 1911's Some have been built and reworked many times.

To the OP: could you post pics of the right side of the gun and any of the marking you can find.

By the way. The serial # should look something like this:
ai42.tinypic.com_2isbp0m.jpg

Torch Red Tulsan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I really appreciate all the information and research. The 6C402 is definitely the number on the side of the frame. I called Colt today and they didn't have any record of that style of serial number. I'll try to take some pictures tomorrow of the right side of the gun. One other thing that I was able to spot on the frame is a small upside down triangle on the upper edge of the left side of the trigger guard. It's very small and I can't make out if it's a block font V or if it's a triangle with letter(s) stamped inside the triangle. I'm trying to find a magnifying glass to get a better look at it. I'll try to post a picture of this as well tomorrow.

Since Colt doesn't have any record of this serial number, I'd have to guess that it's some sort of mix master.

doctruptwn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can tell you more if you can get, close up pic's of both sides of the frame. and if there are any markings on the underside. There are a few frames out there that had a serial number in a diffeent place, that could be consistant with the slide. Although I am thinking more of a mix master. Also if there are any markings on the Chamber hood of the barrel.

If you look at post #11 note how the slide and frame don't quite match up at the rear. This is common with mix masters. unless someone has taken the time to correct that mis alignment.

Just because it is a mix master is not necessarily bad. It may have a WWII frame on it from one of the other contract builders.

doctruptwn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I have pretty much exhausted my research:

In the time frame of when your pistol was originally purchased there were several companies making aftermarket frames. Some of those companies are still around, however, they all have a different serial number system so I supect that one of those companies that no longer exist produced this frame. I had hoped to find out which company it was but I haven't had any luck.

As for your original question. I think someone built a mix master with the intent of making a "reproduction" WWI or WWII pistol. That said they did a fairly good job collecting what appears to be the correct parts for a late WWII pistol.

As for value, I would put it at between $500 and $1,000.00 based on what I can see. Without actually handeling and inspecting for "valuable" parts. The Slide is most likley a WWI era slide that was issued to the military hence the "P" Proofmark. This era of slide often sells for around $200.00 striped. Without more difinative identification of the frame, It is hard to give it a value, although "new" frames can be purchased for $100- $300.00. The remaminder of the parts can be bought, as a "surplus kit" for about $150.00 or individually for as much as $500.00 for highest quality "new" parts.

So as stated eariler the actual value is what ever someone would be willing to pay for it. But, I think in the range I gave you, should be close although it is pretty broad. It has some history behind it, and obviously I love the 1911 platform, So if it was mine and had the family history behind it, it would be priceless to me.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
totally agree... if this gun was mine and had family history... it would be one of the last things I'd sell.

So as stated eariler the actual value is what ever someone would be willing to pay for it. But, I think in the range I gave you, should be close although it is pretty broad. It has some history behind it, and obviously I love the 1911 platform, So if it was mine and had the family history behind it, it would be priceless to me.

Torch Red Tulsan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks again for the research and input. Sorry I didn't get around to posting those right side of the frame pictures. Here are a couple of the right side and 1 of the marking on the left side of the trigger guard.

I don't know enough to strip it down to the trigger and hammer so I don't want to try that but I did have a look at the barrel and found the markings HS on one side of the lug and P on the other. Doing some research, I found out that these stand for High Standard and Proof which were used for production during 1944-1945

[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]

Latest posts

Top Bottom