Colt 1911 Value

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctruptwn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll send these new photo's to some sources and see what comes up, if anything.

Your right about the Barrel. It's a High Standard and would date to WWII.

I'm wondering if this could be a CMP rebuild, In which case the Value could be somewhat higher. If you had CMP paperwork, it would be valued close to Vintage WWII guns, CMP would have issued a build sheet, unique to that gun showing all parts origin and marking for that pistol. Without the paperwork it is just a unique pistol, with some heritage and history behind it.

The "VP" proof mark and inspector "5" mark may be just the info we need to get a breakthrough. Those aren't common marks for a aftermarket frame.

doctruptwn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
EUREKA!!!!!!!!!! WE HAVE A WINNER...................

Ok after consulting with some of the leading 1911 experts in the country we have what I believe to be a winner. Not absolutely verifiable, but as good as it is going to get.

According to the experts prior to 1970 there were no aftermarket 1911 frames being produced outside of Colt and WWII contractors. The Serial Number 6c402 is not consistant with any Colt manufactured or contract manufactured pistol frames. Furthermore, there are no known aftermarket manufactures that used a serial number system XCXXX. As explained above, Commercial Colts have either a leading or trailing C in the serial number. The experts could not rule out some guy with a CNC machine, producing his own frame from a block of steel and giving it that serial number but they find that highly unlikely. Additionally the Frame has a "VP" Proofmark. This stands for "Verified Proof" This is a known proof mark from the Colt factory and was inspected by inspector #5. They are trying to get a name for that inspector. Prior to the 1968 firearms act the Company name did not have to appear next the the serial number which is why this Colt frame doesn't say Colt

So I realize the question that you are asking is If the OP called Colt and they have no record of Serial # 6C402 how is in fact a Colt. Well the experts feeling is a "Light Strike" Serial number combined with the fact that the pistol appears to have been refinished, and most likely heavily buffed durring that process, resulted in a protion of the "0" being removed as it also appears to have happened with the "VP" proofmark. So the Actual Serial Number is most likely 60402. This number is verifiable to a 1948 38 super frame. Now you question: But it is a 45 acp? It was common practice following WWII to convert 38 super frames to 45 acp as the 45 acp ammo was available in huge quanities while 38 super was not as nearly available and continued to surplused by the US Govt, as 38 super was a standard round for the FBI, and Treasury, Secret Service (then OSI) agents.

So now you ask; What is this gun? Well it is a mix master, made after 1948, however, likely prior to the Korean war. It is built from a bunch of WWII parts likely from several manufactures, Likely at a military arsenal. (It would have been common practice at the time for the arsenal to completely disassemble the pistol and throw each respective part into a bin of like parts refinish clean and then reassemble, without reguard of keeping each pistol with it own parts.) It was likely buffed up to removed rust and the old finish. In the process some of the finer details were lost. It appears to have had a high quality Blued finish put on it and since has been maticuosly taken care of. So with this new info, Value is likely somewhere in the $1000-1500.00 range conseratively. And we now know just a little bit more about American history. And I would have to say you own a nice piece of it. If that pistol could talk.

Torch Red Tulsan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks again for the legwork! As soon as you said the C could be a 0 I grabbed it and you're exactly right. I had read up on the VP triangle when I saw it the other day but wasn't sure that that's really what it was until this morning when I took/posted those pictures. It didn't line up with the non-standard serial number though so I'm really glad you posted that doctruptwn. I was actually at dinner when I got your PM and immediately cut it short and left the restaurant with high hopes.

This Colt is officially staying with me. Thanks again everybody for your help

doctruptwn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Glad you are keeping it. I really enjoyed chasing this one down it was the most fun I've had in quite some time. Now that you are keeping it I should warn you the 1911's are addictive, you can't own just one. Here is the M1911 forum. http://forum.m1911.org/ it is the definative source for 1911 info. From almost every manufacturer, there are also maintenance, and gunsmithing sections.

Colt and Winchester Serial numbers can be tracked at http://proofhouse.com

Torch Red Tulsan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I certainly learned a lot about 1911's through this whole process. Now I think I would almost feel bad shooting it...maybe. Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

Also, I checked the marking on the slide release. There's a number 3 stamped on the inside. Any idea what manufacturer it could be from or how readily available Colt slide releases are? I checked GB and a few other sites but didn't see anything.

doctruptwn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I certainly learned a lot about 1911's through this whole process. Now I think I would almost feel bad shooting it...maybe. Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

Also, I checked the marking on the slide release. There's a number 3 stamped on the inside. Any idea what manufacturer it could be from or how readily available Colt slide releases are? I checked GB and a few other sites but didn't see anything.

The Slide release is a Colt. The #3 means it is a Release for a 38 super or 9mm. The Slide releases were numbered #1 was for 45 acp, #2 was for a 22 LR conversion or Colt ACE (1911 purpose built in 22LR) #3 was for 38 super and 9mm. There is really no difference in the function of one over the other. The 38 super release will work fine in a 45 acp or a 22 lr. The releases can be found from anywhere that has 1911 parts. http://brownells.com or http://midwayusa.comis a good place to start. EGW or Cylinder an Slide make good parts. As we talked about if you replace it obviously keep the one you have, but get one that is grooved or checkered like the thumb safety.

As for shooting it go ahead, it won't hurt the value usless you destroy it in the process.

Latest posts

Top Bottom