Colt Police Positive Special

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Seldom have I ran into a gun that I plain love as much as I love this gun. According to the serial number data range that I found on Al Gore's invention, this little gem left the Hartford factory in 1958, and it was apparently a very good year. Here is a picture of one of somewhat earlier vintage.

www.imfdb.org_images_thumb_d_d5_Second_Colt_Police_Positive.jp3e8a89a608db67b6ef341a8a8e712327.jpg

Having a small quantity of Fiocchi 32 S&W Long cartridges on hand, I decided one day that it was time that I reviewed this particular handgun.

The Police Positive Special was one of Colt's more successful revolvers, as it was in production for longer than any other except for the SAA. It first appeared in 1907 and with brief production interruptions in the Second World War, it continued up to the late 1980's or possibly the early 1990's.

Produced on what was called the D-frame, it is small and easily concealed and is the basis for the famous Detective Special, first made in 1927 from the Fitz Special. Here is a picture of the Fitz Special:

i.imgur.com_QkQoxed.jpg

Wisely, Colt did not produce the Fitz Special, but they seem to have used it as the basis of the Dick Special, which was a huge commercial success. The DS was produced with the trigger guard intact.

It went through some major production modifications in 1952, resulting in a much flatter top of the trigger guard and greatly improved and stronger sights, and then in 1965-1966 came the shortening of the grip frame. Along the way, the D-frame was made in lightweight alloy as the Cobra and the Agent, and the little-known Courier. Then in the 1960's came the Diamondback, essentially a scaled-down Python.

The D-frame went out of production completely about fifteen years or more ago.

Enough history.

A brief description of this particular gun is a Police Positive Special made in 1958. It takes the 32 S&W Long/32 Colt New Police cartridge and has the all-steel frame with the full-length grip frame. Like all Colt DA revolvers, the cylinder rotates clockwise from the shooter's POV and it is released via pulling the cylinder release to the rear. My particular specimen came with the hammer shroud but I took it off as I thought it looked strange, and I have never had the problem of the hammer snagging anyway.

I took the Colt and some of the Fiocchi ammo out to my range one morning not long ago and put the Colt through its' paces, shooting about 72 rounds of the wadcutters through it.

When I first got this gun several years ago, and tried the trigger out, I thought I had died and went to heaven. This little gem has an action that will--and I kid you not--put a Python to shame. I have never seen any other Colt with a trigger pull this smooth. The recoil was very mild even though the gun weighs just under a pound and a half. Functioning was flawless, and the Colt handled quite well. Point shooting, I did very well and I would absolutely would have ruined a mugger's day.

Even though it is no power-house, this is one Colt that I am very happy with.

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've also got one of those in .38 Special! Mine was made in 1941. It was carried by a security guard at the Wichita Boeing plant during WWII. Also have the box which is in rough shape, but I do have it!

IMG_1829.JPG

I probably should take it to the range sometime to try it out......

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a Police Positive in 38 LC years ago but it was one of my collection that was stolen. Was a nice little revolver.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've also got one of those in .38 Special! Mine was made in 1941. It was carried by a security guard at the Wichita Boeing plant during WWII. Also have the box which is in rough shape, but I do have it!

View attachment 181823

I probably should take it to the range sometime to try it out......
That looks more like an Official Police than a Police Positive Special. I have a former NYPD OP and it for sure looks like the one in your photo.

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That looks more like an Official Police than a Police Positive Special. I have a former NYPD OP and it for sure looks like the one in your photo.

It may be.....sorry. It's been a while since it's been outa the safe.

Engineman1960

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not as vintage as everyone else’s -- Mine was manufactured in 1977 (according to Colts Database) -- My opinion -- Beautiful Firearm !!!!!

Colt Police Positive -29 Nov - 1.jpg

Colt Police Positive -29 Nov - 2.jpg

Colts answers to the S&W Model 10 HD barrel ?

I read an article that’s titled “Nobody wants this Colt.”
https://gundigest.com/more/classic-guns/colt_police_positive

I wanted one !!!!!!!

Came with non-Colt Logo wood target grips -- I really like these Pachmayr Colt marked grips ( D series -- fits the Cobra, Diamondback, Agent, Detective Special, Viper & Police Positive)

Last edited:

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't own a Colt PP, but I do "own" a Colt Cobra. Mine is a vintage 1974, so it has the shrouded ejector rod. I say I "own" it because it actually belongs to my agency.

It was once carried by a former chief of police many, many years ago. When I first went to work here, my chief at that time had it in his desk drawer (he carried it for awhile too). I asked him about it and he said he would issue it to me if I so desired. I told him hells yeah, I so desire! :w000t:

Latest posts

Top Bottom