Comments on Gun Control From the Unknowing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I went with my wife to visit a friend of hers the other day, with the deal being we’d only stay for a little bit then go on to lunch. While we’re were there, a story came on the TV about the shooting at Saugus High School, where the bad guy (kid) was said to have just turned 16 the same day. She doesn’t know I am a firearms guy or that we carry.

The lady said “ Maybe they can finally get some of these laws passed...” I asked her what laws would have stopped this act, or any such action. She said several things, and I’m paraphrasing here:

1. It should be illegal for a 16 year old to take a gun to school.
2. We should outlaw “assault weapons”.
3. Nobody should be allowed to carry a gun except for the police and those who need them “for their jobs”.

This lady, and her husband, seem like normal, regular folks. I’m not sure about her, but he has a BS in Biology and an MBA; from OSU. They own and run a successful business. This just sort of shows what some people think is a solution to these “mass shootings”.

I did tell her that it already is illegal for a 16 year old to take a gun to school, and that he used a pistol, not an “assault weapon” to commit the act. I asked her how disarming law abiding citizens would help the problem; her response was something to the effect that if we’d make it illegal for anyone but the police to have a gun, then nobody would be able to commit these crimes. She said this with a straight face, like she was explaining something elementary to a kid...

I just can’t understand the logic people have about this topic. It’s like assuming that just because someplace has a NO GUN sign, that bad guys won’t come there.

The general public seems to be so uninformed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeti695

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I hate it when people think that banning all guns except for police and others will fix all the gun violence in the USA. Criminals already don’t follow laws and will not just give up the guns that they can’t legally own. It’s like when an opioid addict can’t get the pills that they need, they turn to heroin or another drug. This will be the same as anyone that wants to commit a crime. If they can’t get a gun, then a knife, blunt objects. If people really want to stop the unneeded deaths, let’s ban cars. These dangerous hunks of metal kill more people than anything else. It’s funny that people still think that they can control criminals with laws. People like this have probably never witnessed or been a victim of a crime. They live in a fake world where everyone follows the law and does things right.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
https://fee.org/articles/the-myth-that-australias-gun-laws-reduced-gun-homicides/

The main issue is that it is a ratings game and big stories about death is big news. If the media really cared they would have something about every single shooting happening in Chicago almost every single day and would have for years.

People are stupid. They too often believe whatever is put in front of them because they have been told that the media is a "trusted" source of information. If that was the case there would be no need for multiple stations and it would all be run by the gov.... Then again lets think about how that has worked out for China or how well it worked for the people in the former USSR and other area's where the news is controlled by the gov.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sadly there are so many ignorant or ill-informed people. I think the larger issue is we don't teach critical thinking anymore. People just consume what is in front of them without thought. They do that because its easy and even on the surface may make sense to them.

I worked with a woman that at election time someone asked her who she was voting for and she said "oh I don't care about politics. I will just vote for whoever my dad says I should. " This was a 40ish year old woman. Who was passing the buck on being informed yet her vote counts 1 just like you and me. That type of thought is devastating to our freedoms.

Latest posts

Top Bottom