Communications ...***

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Also feel free to stop by the Tulsa Amateur Radio Club table near the entrance to check us out. TARC operates the wide-area Superlink UHF system used for contacting the National Weather Service office in Tulsa during severe weather. This system covers nearly all of NE OK. I'd tell you to check for me at the table but I may be out of action due to surgery that may be scheduled for late in the week.

Check out the website: www.w5ias.com

Bart
N5TWB

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If I give someone a HAM frequency, can someone talk to me...just to see if my radio can pickup chatter?

Why not just put in some of the OKC repeater frequencies, set the radio to SCAN, and listen to the chatter that way? When I lived in OKC, the AutoPatch club repeater on 146.82 was active during rush hour.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have a whole host of radios, but the one that gets the most use is an Yeasu FT8800R in my truck. It's a multi-band, dual side radio that is capable of all sorts of cool functions, one being a cross band repeater. We've used it a couple of times to relay data back and forth between civilization and HT's on our property. It's attached to a dual band mag mount on the top of the truck. I have a whole host of screw-in antenna's, as it's base is nmo. I carry a full wave 2meter under the seat of the truck, but the dual band lives on the

My HT is a Yeasu FT60R. Easy to use, easy to change batteries in, lots of accessories, and one battery lasts a very long time. It's also waterproof to IP60 standards, meaning it can be totally submersed, that means that rain is no problem whatsoever.

My base unit at home as an Icom 2200h tied to my 47 foot tower and dual band antenna (though the radio is not dual band) which is a Comet GP-3. The tower is attached to a base that can be rotated down for maintenance. The tower disassembles into sections that are 7 feet long (the top piece is 5 feet tall). It's made of aluminum tubing and is very light making it easy to move around, should the need arise. The wiring is one constant of RG68 from the antenna, down the tower, through the attic, into the SWR meter and then into the radio. This setup has never let me down.

It's powered by one of two 12 volt power supplies with a battery backup at the ready. I've had this setup running since I got my license in 2001.

I use the 8800R more only because it's in the truck. It's been in at least 4 vehicles and never given me trouble. I don't talk nearly as much as I used to, but I wouldn't have a truck without a radio in it.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Guys, I want to thank you all for keeping this thread active. Like I said it just really is not my thing. Guess I'm gonna have to force myself to get a unit set up in the house and start playing around with it though. Too many of you guys have call signs for me to have the excuse that I don't have anyone to talk to ... :nolike: :rotflmao:

So ... I'm up for suggestions. What should I get GC for 'his birthday' if I was gonna get a base unit for in the house? :naughty:

Thanks, guys!

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Guys, I want to thank you all for keeping this thread active. Like I said it just really is not my thing. Guess I'm gonna have to force myself to get a unit set up in the house and start playing around with it though. Too many of you guys have call signs for me to have the excuse that I don't have anyone to talk to ... :nolike: :rotflmao:

So ... I'm up for suggestions. What should I get GC for 'his birthday' if I was gonna get a base unit for in the house? :naughty:

Thanks, guys!

aviator41 mentioned a couple of units that have new models available: FT-2300R (2 meters only) & FT-8900R (2 meter/70 centimeter) So, your first decision is whether you want the lower cost of a single band radio or a dual-band for versatility. Of course, this will affect your antenna choice. You'll also need a 12-volt power supply to run the radio since none of these units has an internal power supply. The radio models above are Yaesu - other manufacturers have similar offerings and choices so look over Alinco, Kenwood, and Icom for other choices. All of the choices and the necessary accessories will be on display at the hamfest in Claremore this weekend.

If coming to Claremore is not possible, check out the websites below on prices/availability:

www.hamradio.com
www.aesham.com

The website below has user reviews of all of the possibilities, used and new:

www.eham.net

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
aviator41 mentioned a couple of units that have new models available: FT-2300R (2 meters only) & FT-8900R (2 meter/70 centimeter) So, your first decision is whether you want the lower cost of a single band radio or a dual-band for versatility. Of course, this will affect your antenna choice. You'll also need a 12-volt power supply to run the radio since none of these units has an internal power supply. The radio models above are Yaesu - other manufacturers have similar offerings and choices so look over Alinco, Kenwood, and Icom for other choices. All of the choices and the necessary accessories will be on display at the hamfest in Claremore this weekend.

If coming to Claremore is not possible, check out the websites below on prices/availability:

www.hamradio.com
www.aesham.com

The website below has user reviews of all of the possibilities, used and new:

www.eham.net

OK, thanks!! I'm gonna do some reading and I'll get back with you all ... Probably with 50,000 questions ... :D

Jestik

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What other repeaters did you put in? Where are you in the metro area? You might also need an external antenna rather than just the one on the radio.

This is what I was getting at. I just wanted to see if I could pick up someone that I was for sure was broadcasting on a certain frequency at a certain time so I knew if it was my radio or me that had the problem.

I live at May and I-44, and I set my frequency to the one that was listed and then waited for it to kick in. It never did.

Latest posts

Top Bottom