Conceal Carry in bars and taverns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should conceal carry be allowed in bars and taverns?

• Yes

Votes: 125 56.8%
  • No

Votes: 95 43.2%

• Total voters

rcnich

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm a steadfast 2nd amendment supporter. But this is one of the WORST ideas I've heard in a long time.

Fact: Alcohol lowers behavioral inhibitions.
Lower inhibitions can lead to actions that a sober person would not engage in -- such as deciding that the best way to deal with a situation is with a gun. Who among us would say that our judgment is IMPROVED when we're drunk?

Fact: Alcohol is a nervous system depressant.
When alcohol is in one's system, one's reactions are slower -- not to mention vision impaired, balance impaired, etc. Why would anyone want to engage in a gunfight -- in a crowded bar -- in this condition?

Fact: You don't have to have a BAC of .08 to be impaired by alcohol.

We all have seen people who are "sloppy drunks." We've seen "happy drunks" and "mean drunks," too. IMO a "mean drunk" with a gun (concealed or not) is murder just waiting to happen.

First there's this push for an open carry law -- and now here floats the idea of legalizing the carrying of guns in saloons. Sounds like you folks have been watching too many Gunsmoke reruns.

So keep in mind pard, "Wild" Bill Hickok, even though a fairly proficient gunman himself, met his demise in a saloon when a drunk shot him in the back of the head.

owu1bag5

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, if there was ever any place you might actually need one.....
:anyone:

exactly.

people say they are staunch second amendment supporters, but yet they want to limit the right that the second amendment guarantees. i do not understand how you can be a supporter and still be ok with limitations on it. i should be able to carry my weapon, concealed or open, rifle or pistol, into any establishment so long as the property owner is ok with it. even those that are owned and operated by the government. we pay for those buildings and we should be able to exercise our rights in them.

as was said people who plan to shoot someone in a bar are going to do it if it is against the law to have a gun there or not. a couple of years ago a guy was shot in the Silver Stallion here in mustang. everyone else in there was defenseless.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As a musician I work in a lot of bars playing music.I dont drink.I had my time with alcohol many years ago.I dont drink now.The drunk musician is not all of us.Still.I have to leave my gun behind when I go in to work and alot of times I'm doing my loadins and loadouts in a lot of dark alleys and it would be nice to have it with me.Ive stated in the past that after Dime was shot and killed on stage I did keep a gun in my guitar case and carry one into bars when working but I quit that in fear of getting caught and losing my permit or worse.I do always carry my knife so I'm not totally defenseless but almost if they have a gun on me.And I dont ever want to open carry.Any where.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm a steadfast 2nd amendment supporter. But this is one of the WORST ideas I've heard in a long time.

Fact: Alcohol lowers behavioral inhibitions.
Lower inhibitions can lead to actions that a sober person would not engage in -- such as deciding that the best way to deal with a situation is with a gun. Who among us would say that our judgment is IMPROVED when we're drunk?

Fact: Alcohol is a nervous system depressant.
When alcohol is in one's system, one's reactions are slower -- not to mention vision impaired, balance impaired, etc. Why would anyone want to engage in a gunfight -- in a crowded bar -- in this condition?

Fact: You don't have to have a BAC of .08 to be impaired by alcohol.

We all have seen people who are "sloppy drunks." We've seen "happy drunks" and "mean drunks," too. IMO a "mean drunk" with a gun (concealed or not) is murder just waiting to happen.

First there's this push for an open carry law -- and now here floats the idea of legalizing the carrying of guns in saloons. Sounds like you folks have been watching too many Gunsmoke reruns.

So keep in mind pard, "Wild" Bill Hickok, even though a fairly proficient gunman himself, met his demise in a saloon when a drunk shot him in the back of the head.

I think it's interesting that you are so strongly opposed to guns in bars, considering the guy in your sig line commited suicide with a shotgun while he was drunk at home. Obviously guns and alcohol are, potentialy, not a good combo, but you don't have to go to a bar for it to be a problem.

truckmann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks like I agree with most so far. Carrying a gun requires a responsible person no matter where you carry and I think a bar should not be an exception. I agree guns and alcohol don't mix, but there are plenty of reasons a person might be in a bar and not be there to drink. Some of the bars around actually have good food.

Latest posts

Top Bottom