Conceal Carry in bars and taverns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should conceal carry be allowed in bars and taverns?

• Yes

Votes: 125 56.8%
  • No

Votes: 95 43.2%

• Total voters

rcnich

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I feel that more than one is inappropriate for this situation regardless.

FYI - one beer is ILLEGAL for this situation, regardless.

I get concerned when people decide they'll abide only by the parts of the law that seem appropriate to them.

If you don't want to abide by the law as it's written, then call your legislator about changing it.

Just tell 'em that it's your 2nd Amendment Right to be able to enjoy a cold brewski at the bar while you're packing heat.

I'm sure they'll get right back to you on that one.

ExSniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Please don't read words into my posts. I said 1 beer for a reason. Sure maybe certain people are fine with 2 or 3, but I feel that more than one is inappropriate for this situation regardless.

Sadly I also have little faith in most "studies" that take place, especially involving the US government and laws. It is very easy to throw out data that is presumed bad and skew data to get the desired results. I have also seen it stated that the studies "support" the premise that .08 BAC is the safe limit to decrease alcohol related fatalities, which suggests to me the results are somewhat inconclusive.

So you don't want to restrict our right to carry a gun but you do want to restrict what we may consume? At some point it all means we are to be restricted in some way.

You meet several friends at a bar and drink one beer, but after a few minutes you get a phone call that you are needed at home, so you chug the rest of your one beer and leave. In the parking lot you are viciously attacked by a drunk who wants your wallet. He pulls a gun, you pull a gun and you shoot faster and more accurately. He is dead right there! The police show up and congratulate you on eliminating the bigest scumbag in the history of Oklahoma. They pat you on the back and send you home. A year later you are summoned to a civil court facing charges of wrongful death in this incident. His family is suing you. Their first witness is the barmaid who brought six beers to your table for you and your three friends. Your friends all admit that all of you were drinking beer. Was your judgement impaired? We are not asking if you were legally drunk, or if your motor skills were faulty, we want to know if you were impaired. Can we convince 9 or the 12 jurors that your drinking may have had a negative impact on your decision-making as you decided to kill your attacker?

Alcohol and guns do not mix, ever. As for musicians or others that work in bars, the law says the business owner may keep firearms on premises for protection. Simply make it a part of your contract that you will be armed as a condition of your employment. Most bar owners I have talked to (admittedly a small statistical sample) think that will usually work.

The actual first rule of a gunfight is: If you know there is going to be a gunfight, do not go!
If you hang out in bars that attract gunfights, quit it. Find a better place to be.

truckmann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
FYI - one beer is ILLEGAL for this situation, regardless.

I get concerned when people decide they'll abide only by the parts of the law that seem appropriate to them.

If you don't want to abide by the law as it's written, then call your legislator about changing it.

Just tell 'em that it's your 2nd Amendment Right to be able to enjoy a cold brewski at the bar while you're packing heat.

I'm sure they'll get right back to you on that one.

Gee kind of the whole point of this thread. Currently it is ILLEGAL to even bring a gun into a bar. I'm not trying to abide by certain parts of the law and and not others I'm just getting opinions on what people think the law should be. As stated before in Utah it is legal to carry into a bar and you can have a drink LEGALLY as long as your BAC stays under .08 and I don't have a problem with that. If you do that's fine.

So you don't want to restrict our right to carry a gun but you do want to restrict what we may consume? At some point it all means we are to be restricted in some way.

Once again please don't suggest words into my posts that aren't there. I said I felt more than 1 was inappropriate not that there should be a restriction, but even if the law was changed there will be a restriction on drinking.

P35

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm a steadfast 2nd amendment supporter. But this is one of the WORST ideas I've heard in a long time.

Fact: Alcohol lowers behavioral inhibitions.
Lower inhibitions can lead to actions that a sober person would not engage in -- such as deciding that the best way to deal with a situation is with a gun. Who among us would say that our judgment is IMPROVED when we're drunk?

Fact: Alcohol is a nervous system depressant.
When alcohol is in one's system, one's reactions are slower -- not to mention vision impaired, balance impaired, etc. Why would anyone want to engage in a gunfight -- in a crowded bar -- in this condition?

Fact: You don't have to have a BAC of .08 to be impaired by alcohol.

We all have seen people who are "sloppy drunks." We've seen "happy drunks" and "mean drunks," too. IMO a "mean drunk" with a gun (concealed or not) is murder just waiting to happen.

First there's this push for an open carry law -- and now here floats the idea of legalizing the carrying of guns in saloons. Sounds like you folks have been watching too many Gunsmoke reruns.

So keep in mind pard, "Wild" Bill Hickok, even though a fairly proficient gunman himself, met his demise in a saloon when a drunk shot him in the back of the head.

WOW:explode:
you sound like a writer for the Tulsa World, I'm surprised you didn't mention the "blood in the streets "quote.
How about if you DON"T DRINK ALCOHOL, and you are in a place to get some food, it's not about drinking, it's about CCW in bars. More gun free zones just make it easier for the criminal and the crazy to shoot up unarmed citizens. "Steadfast" supporters like you got us the AWB, and a bunch of other "common sense, reasonable gun laws" pard.

rcnich

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
As I said in subsequent posts, my issue is with the notion of drinking alcohol while carrying a firearm.

Truckmann first asks if it should be okay to have CCW in a bar -- and in the next sentence goes right into the idea of drinking in the bar while armed.

sanjuro893

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I worked in a couple of bars in OKC several years ago. Although it is illegal, I guarantee you there were people packing in there. Some of the employees were packing as well. The only injury we had (during my time there) was one of our managers got shot in the head and killed as he was entering his car to drop of the deposit after closing. There will always be situations where a gun comes into play no matter where you are or what restrictions on guns there are be it a court house or the corner store. We've all seen how effective the "gun-free zones" are. I guess my point is, it doesn't matter whether its legal or not to carry in bars, people are still going to do it. We might as well make it legal so that the law-abiding ones can protect themselves if something goes down.

Latest posts

Top Bottom