Conceal Carry in bars and taverns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should conceal carry be allowed in bars and taverns?

• Yes

Votes: 125 56.8%
  • No

Votes: 95 43.2%

• Total voters

Bierhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bierhunter, you say "Just because someone's in a bar, doesn't mean he's there to get drunk. And if someone does get drunk, what about that heavy weapon on wheels he's going to drive home? Not allowing him to carry a gun in the bar isn't going to stop him from killing someone on the road."

So then, are you saying it should be okay to go into a bar with your concealed weapon as long as you "drink responsibly?" What part of OK Title 21 Sec. 1289.9 makes that lawful?

And since "Not allowing him to carry a gun in the bar isn't going to stop him from killing someone on the road," should we also do away with DUI laws as well, since they apparently don't prevent drunk driving deaths?

Valid questions, but I think you're reading too much into what was said.

Also, we're not talking about what the law says now. We're talking about whether or not people "should" be able to carry...etc, etc. This is all hypothetical.

There is a big difference between carrying in a bar, and carrying while drinking alcohol, and carrying while intoxicated.

Just like, there is a difference between drinking alcohol and then driving, and a DUI.

It is not illegal to drink a beer and then drive. It is, however, illegal to drive if you're BAC is above a certain level.

Carrying in a bar in no way advocates allowing someone to carry while they're out drinking.

ExtremistPullup

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I worked in a couple of bars in OKC several years ago. Although it is illegal, I guarantee you there were people packing in there. Some of the employees were packing as well. The only injury we had (during my time there) was one of our managers got shot in the head and killed as he was entering his car to drop of the deposit after closing. There will always be situations where a gun comes into play no matter where you are or what restrictions on guns there are be it a court house or the corner store. We've all seen how effective the "gun-free zones" are. I guess my point is, it doesn't matter whether its legal or not to carry in bars, people are still going to do it. We might as well make it legal so that the law-abiding ones can protect themselves if something goes down.

Owners of liquor establishments can carry in there bar right?
Couldn't there employees as well.
I'm sure they could even open carry.

and shall not apply to an owner or
proprietor of the establishment having a pistol, rifle, or shotgun on the
premises.

bilboben

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I voted yes because I believe in not limiting the rights of law abiding citizens. That being said, this is why I currently do not go into bars.

It is the same arguement used all the time against gun control. In the State of Oklahoma, currently the only people with guns in a bar are the criminals. That includes legal ccw holders, because you are commiting crime if you have a gun in a bar.

loudshirt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Guns in bars are great. Just ask the TPD officer who pulled his out and brandished it after he had a couple of drinks. GUNS and Alcohol DO NOT MIX. If you are making the conscious decision to enter a bar you also mad the decision to leave your gun at home.

Latest posts

Top Bottom