Conceal Carry in bars and taverns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should conceal carry be allowed in bars and taverns?

• Yes

Votes: 125 56.8%
  • No

Votes: 95 43.2%

• Total voters

loudshirt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it is illegal to carry where alcohol is served why isn't it illegal to drive your car to that place?

The problem is you will not stop carrying just because you drink too much. With a car you can choose to take a cab or get a ride home with out getting behind the wheel.

Driving somewhere and drinking can be mutually exclusive. If you are carrying a gun and choose to drink they would be inclusive. You are not going to give your gun to the bartender just because you have had too much to drink.

Jon1911

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The problem is you will not stop carrying just because you drink too much. With a car you can choose to take a cab or get a ride home with out getting behind the wheel.

Driving somewhere and drinking can be mutually exclusive. If you are carrying a gun and choose to drink they would be inclusive. You are not going to give your gun to the bartender just because you have had too much to drink.

Agreed, it's not as simple as other things, not as easy as just walking home or calling a cab, but it shouldn't be illegal.

jarhead983

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK, I'm confused. Why is it that opening bars for conceal carry brings out such doomsayers? Even within our own shooting community? This has been leagalized in a number of states and the shootings are 10 o'clock news everynight of the week. :rolleyes: Of course that hasn't happened! Why would anyone assume that after, a lot of years in most of our cases, of being law abiding citizens, or at least abiding enough to qualify for our CCW license, that we will throw out all of our senses and start slamming shots and start waving guns around?

If we were inclined to snap, we would have before now. I went out with some business associates from England this last Friday night. I did not carry because of the bars we were going to. I have never felt more naked than I did while in downtown Tulsa that night. My wife and 2 adult daughters were with us in a party of 16, I have never been more paranoid. Here I was, with my family, I wouldn't be able to protect them if the need arised. All because someone thought that this was the time, after 45yrs, that I would snap and start shooting up the place.

Reminds me of a movie I saw years ago where they could forsee a crime before it happened so they went out and eliminated the criminal before they could commit their crime. Not very crazy, considering they and some of the people here seem to think that all that is missing for me or others to go on a killing spree, is to finally, have the legal right to drink a beer in a bar while carrying. Hell, just the chance to be in a bar without drinking is obviously the last straw for some, at least, in the opinion of those who trust noone but themselves, and those who know whats best for everyone.

OMG lets try to rub 2 brain cells together before we start ranting about the evil of gun toting citizens in 'special locations'.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

The problem is not what I'm going to do. The problem is what someone else is going to do and I won't be able to defend myself because I obey the law.
I take the responsibility that goes with carrying very seriously and will not drink while carrying or will not carry if going to drink.

hal3st0rm

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I take the responsibility that goes with carrying very seriously and will not drink while carrying or will not carry if going to drink.

There is the key word to this whole argument.

If I'm going out on a friday or saturday night with friends and know we'll be bar hopping, or going to a party somewhere, am I going to carry? Of course not, that would be stupid and irresponsible.

However, if I'm taking my girlfriend out to a nice dinner at a restaurant, and I want to have a (1) good beer with my meal, I don't see a problem with that. Most of the time I don't even finish the beer. I just like to have it with the meal. It's all about responsibility and being accountable for your actions. I wouldn't walk into same restaurant and start pounding long island teas. That would be irresponsible.

That being said, it's easy to figure this stuff out when you can plan ahead. Going drinking, don't carry. Going out to eat (responsibly), no problem. It's when you find yourself in those unexpected situations (Co-worker wants to go grab a beer after work) that you need to turn on the old brain and say, hmm, maybe that's not such a good idea.

Responsibility, responsibility, responsibility!

Latest posts

Top Bottom