Conflicted... New Deck Card #12

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clock152

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You are alone, driving out of state when all of the sudden your car dies. you realize your car died and so did everyone else's. Nobody's phones are working. You have the sinking feeling that an Electromagnetic Pulse went off. You are surrounded by strangers from all walks of life. Everyone has very limited resources. Would you join forces or disappear on your own? What would be your main goal after this decision?

securitysix

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The government did a test a while back on the effects of EMP on vehicles. The department doing the test borrowed vehicles from other departments and were required to return the vehicles in working condition. Their report didn't say exactly what vehicles they had, but it was a mix of sedans, pickup trucks, and other vehicles (including semi trucks). Most of the vehicles were unaffected by most of the EMP levels they tested. A few shut off when they were EMP'd while running, but they almost all started back up, some with no ill effects at all, others with a few warning lights that needed minor, but not immediate attention. Only one vehicle failed to start and had to be towed to a mechanic.

So, with that in mind, the first thing I'd do is try to come safely to a stop if possible (assuming I hadn't already wrecked into someone or been wrecked into), put the vehicle in park (or neutral), and try to start the vehicle again. If that worked, I'd do my best to drive my way out, even if I had to dent and scratch my front bumper a little while making a path.

If it didn't work, I'd have no choice but to hoof it. In that event, since I'm out of state, hopefully I'm out of state because I'm visiting friendlies in the area, and I'd walk to them. If not, I'd start the trek home. Unfortunately for me, I don't keep a GHB in the truck, but then, I rarely travel more than 30 miles from home anyway. If I were planning to travel out of state, I'd make it a point to take my GHB along with whatever normal things I'd have (changes of clothes, personal hygiene stuff, etc.).

clock152

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The government did a test a while back on the effects of EMP on vehicles. The department doing the test borrowed vehicles from other departments and were required to return the vehicles in working condition. Their report didn't say exactly what vehicles they had, but it was a mix of sedans, pickup trucks, and other vehicles (including semi trucks). Most of the vehicles were unaffected by most of the EMP levels they tested. A few shut off when they were EMP'd while running, but they almost all started back up, some with no ill effects at all, others with a few warning lights that needed minor, but not immediate attention. Only one vehicle failed to start and had to be towed to a mechanic.

So, with that in mind, the first thing I'd do is try to come safely to a stop if possible (assuming I hadn't already wrecked into someone or been wrecked into), put the vehicle in park (or neutral), and try to start the vehicle again. If that worked, I'd do my best to drive my way out, even if I had to dent and scratch my front bumper a little while making a path.

If it didn't work, I'd have no choice but to hoof it. In that event, since I'm out of state, hopefully I'm out of state because I'm visiting friendlies in the area, and I'd walk to them. If not, I'd start the trek home. Unfortunately for me, I don't keep a GHB in the truck, but then, I rarely travel more than 30 miles from home anyway. If I were planning to travel out of state, I'd make it a point to take my GHB along with whatever normal things I'd have (changes of clothes, personal hygiene stuff, etc.).

Not so sure I would trust the guberment on their findings. I'm only 25 min. from home everyday and figure it would still take 2 days to make it home and I would like to think I would make it home with no worries... a get home bag is always in my truck.. doesn't hurt to have it and not need it.. but to need it and not have it! I never plan to have a car wreck either but I have insurance if I do.

FRISKY

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it was a big enough EMP to kill the items listed, it would probably fry everything else. My logistics would be much better on my home turf.

Serenity Bushcraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I'm alone then thank God! I would attempt to restart my truck, make calls and do everything possible to determine what is happening. No phone, check. No truck, check. Others on the road experiencing the same thing, check. I would grab my GHB and get to walking as soon as possible. If others follow then that is fine as long as they don't get in my way or make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. My GHB isn't designed for multiple days like a BOB but it does have everything that I would need in a survival situation, minus comfort items. With a little luck I wouldn't be to far from home but I do a lot of driving so who knows. The basic idea, in a nut shell, is to get home in one piece where I can do what ever the next step requires. Cheers!

Latest posts

Top Bottom