Constitutional carry passes the Oklahoma house

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I repeat my earlier statement - "I support Constitutional Carry! However, it is ridiculous to open the doors for total novices to be able to walk around with a gun on their hip without knowing the basics of firearm safety." Nothing in that statement suggests in any way that anyone should lose any of his/her rights. The exception to that would be if that person proves to be a threat to the public. Completion of a sensible training course would tend to show that a person is qualified and not a threat.

I know of well trained people who have a hole in the floor or wall of their house because of accidental discharges. They had the muzzle pointed in a safe direction because of practicing firearm safety. I've seen a failure to fire with a shotgun. The gun was brought down and a full two seconds later the shell went off down range. Again, the muzzle was kept in a safe direction will beginning to inspect the firearm. On the other hand, I've seen a novice handle a firearm as if it were a death ray ready to go off in all directions if the wind blew on it. It's hard to know who would be practice firearm safety, with or without training. Most responsible and common sense people are going to practice firearm safety if the own a gun. The only rule that really needs to be taught - don't point a loaded or unloaded firearm at anything that you don't intend to shoot.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I repeat my earlier statement - "I support Constitutional Carry! However, it is ridiculous to open the doors for total novices to be able to walk around with a gun on their hip without knowing the basics of firearm safety." Nothing in that statement suggests in any way that anyone should lose any of his/her rights. The exception to that would be if that person proves to be a threat to the public. Completion of a sensible training course would tend to show that a person is qualified and not a threat.

So you're ok with freedom as long as it's restricted or qualified. You're already on the record supporting this. Good for you.

30 states now support permitless open carry.

I'm sure you'll be vindicated soon with the absolute flood of AD/ND reports in public places contributing to a statistically-significant rise in both or either firearms-related deaths or injuries in public specifically related to new permitless OC in all of those 30 states. You don't think people can handle the right intended by the Founding Fathers without some kind of qualification - like mandatory training. I'm sure you also support bringing back mandatory competency testing for voting rights as well as being able to articulate a specific rationale behind refusing to testify against oneself or submitting to warrantless search and seizure, etc., right? Qualification of specifically-enumerated rights being the backbone of freedom, after all...

Ipsilateral

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Reading through the details, this bill does not appear to be a constitutional carry bill, it is an unlicensed open carry bill and OK2A shouldn't market it as a constitutional carry bill. It may be a strong step in that direction, but until unlicensed concealed carry is legal and the SDA is merely for people who want out of state reciprocity, this is an open carry bill

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Reading through the details, this bill does not appear to be a constitutional carry bill, it is an unlicensed open carry bill and OK2A shouldn't market it as a constitutional carry bill. It may be a strong step in that direction, but until unlicensed concealed carry is legal and the SDA is merely for people who want out of state reciprocity, this is an open carry bill

This is true, it only applies to OC, sadly. OSBI and OK.gov is not letting go the of the millions they extort for true Constitutional Carry anytime soon.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Completion of a sensible training course would tend to show that a person is qualified and not a threat.

Because Nidal Hasan, right?

... until unlicensed concealed carry is legal and the SDA is merely for people who want out of state reciprocity, this is an open carry bill

That's how I read it.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What could I have been thinking? I can't believe I was actually advocating that someone possessing and carrying a .357 Magnum to WalMart actually be trained in it's use. What purpose would that serve?

Latest posts

Top Bottom