Controlled Hunts 2009

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I think I speak for all of us who FAILed, when I say that we hate you very much, ruckerduck, redmule, and imhntn! :neener: :p J/K, congrats - Luckeeeeee!

Imhntn, seriously, it's gettin pretty deep when you start complainin about WHICH sub-area you drew into! :mad: :)

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I WON!!

Archery
McAlester AAP (C, phy. chal.)
Oct. 9-11
100 (2) Only 1 Antlered

:hyper::woohoo1::w000t:

I'll have lots of questions that need answered by those that have already been there.:D

Reaction score
Sweetness! Dennis can shoot 99 does plus 1 buck! :D

P.S. We also hate (obviously) dennis, hondafire, and JT.

Dennis, I've only done McAAP once (2 years ago), but can give you some info if you PM me. Read all the literature they send you first, and they you can formulate the best questions. Try to find someone who was in the same area (I was in the Deer Creek area). Just cross your fingers that your week coincides with peak rut! Oh wait, nevermind, Oct 9-11?!? Wowsa, I hope you tolerate heat well!

Redmule454

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow, looks like I am going antelope hunting 10/3. Is it too early for you guys to start giving me much needed advice?

I went in 1982 I think. I called the local warden and got several names of ranchers who would let you hunt on their place for a fee. The ranch I hunted was almost to Black Mesa, any further north I would have been in Colorado any further west Texas. I paid $200 and it was well worth it. The guys that hunt the public land have a crapshoot at best. Too many people chasing the antelope off the public land.
My buck checked in at 85# field dressed, doesn't take much gun. I made the mistake of taking the elk rifle (.30/338 mag) :cannon:and loading it with 150 gr Ballistic tip bullets (which I shoot out of the 30-06) to shoot far and flat. At 250 yards the bullet exploded on impact. :ooh2:I found BB size pieces all thru that poor animal, the entrance wound was big enough to shove my fist thru. All the buck did was drop in it's tracks with a plop and a puff of dust. The rancher watching me shoot accused me of killing, bleeding, and gutting the buck in one shot.:homer:
I would take a .243, .270, or .308 with 140 gr bullets.
They are a cool animal, I watched bucks sparring with yucca plants like a whitetail does to cedar trees. The terrain looks flat but they can "disappear" before your eyes as they walk into one of the many draws and ditches. They have a musk gland on top of their back where the spine meets the pelvic bone, which gives them a distinct odor. The hair is hollow and is wavey like bristles off of a wire brush (cup brush). The meat is dark red and very tasty, better than deer.
Good luck,
Charley:twocents:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I went in 1982 I think. I called the local warden and got several names of ranchers who would let you hunt on their place for a fee. The ranch I hunted was almost to Black Mesa, any further north I would have been in Colorado any further west Texas. I paid $200 and it was well worth it. The guys that hunt the public land have a crapshoot at best. Too many people chasing the antelope off the public land.
My buck checked in at 85# field dressed, doesn't take much gun. I made the mistake of taking the elk rifle (.30/338 mag) :cannon:and loading it with 150 gr Ballistic tip bullets (which I shoot out of the 30-06) to shoot far and flat. At 250 yards the bullet exploded on impact. :ooh2:I found BB size pieces all thru that poor animal, the entrance wound was big enough to shove my fist thru. All the buck did was drop in it's tracks with a plop and a puff of dust. The rancher watching me shoot accused me of killing, bleeding, and gutting the buck in one shot.:homer:
I would take a .243, .270, or .308 with 140 gr bullets.
They are a cool animal, I watched bucks sparring with yucca plants like a whitetail does to cedar trees. The terrain looks flat but they can "disappear" before your eyes as they walk into one of the many draws and ditches. They have a musk gland on top of their back where the spine meets the pelvic bone, which gives them a distinct odor. The hair is hollow and is wavey like bristles off of a wire brush (cup brush). The meat is dark red and very tasty, better than deer.
Good luck,
Charley:twocents:

I've put in for the antelope since it started, and have wondered how the meat was for eating. I'm really partial to deer meat, so that was good news.:D

Latest posts

Top Bottom