Controlled Hunts 2009

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunterdeere

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Originally Posted by J.T.
Wow, looks like I am going antelope hunting 10/3. Is it too early for you guys to start giving me much needed advice?

If you are interested in hunting on farm ground, you can usually find places to hunt without having to pay a fee. Most people think they have to be in ranch country, but there are plenty killed on a wheat field. They are right about not needing a large caliber. My daughters and I have killed them with anything from a 22-250 to a 30-06 with managed recoil. My personal preference is a 25-06.
As far as the meat, put the animal down quick, cool it off quick and do not let age long. We try to cool ours down asap and usually cut it up the same day. We bone it and try to take off anything blue or white. Most times you can cut it with a fork and has a really good flavor. My wife will even eat it, and she will not eat deer at all!

Drew a doe antelope tag in Cimarron County. Anyone have landowner contacts up there?
PM me and I might be able to find you some places to hunt. They will be on farm ground as I stated above, but there are plenty of antelope. Most farmers will tell you no problem, but you have to shoot 3 or 4 and pick out the best!!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't notice this until sombody brought this to my attention.

HODDY, DENNIS E 3 - Deer Hunts 335 - McAlester AAP - Hominy - Archery (2) Only 1 Antlered 10/9/2009 - 10/11/2009

It says I drew the Hominy area? Is that good?

BJS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

HODDY, DENNIS E 3 - Deer Hunts 335 - McAlester AAP - Hominy - Archery (2) Only 1 Antlered 10/9/2009 - 10/11/2009

Congrats on drawing a tag. Check out the Oklahoma forum at bowsite.com. There's some info on Hominy and a map showing the different sections.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Yes it is especially good because you will be there a couple weeks before me and can give me the scouting report. I'll be waiting to hear how you did and hoping you got a big one. I think you will enjoy the hunt there.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes it is especially good because you will be there a couple weeks before me and can give me the scouting report. I'll be waiting to hear how you did and hoping you got a big one. I think you will enjoy the hunt there.

I'll be more than happy to share a report. If you have hunted that area before, I'd love some info as this is my very first time to hunt big mac.

I've already got a 2 bedroom cabin rented on the depot. I have a friend that put in as well on a group hunt. I'm just hoping for a cool front, or a cool rain for the weekend. The letter said that we can also take unlimited hogs, and coyotes. No matter if I get a buck and doe the first morning, I want to stay the full term and get in some more hunting for the piggies.:D

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah Dennis, you better hope for some cool weather. I drew in a few years ago in mid October and it was in the upper 90's, just brutal hot. Deer movement was minimal, but 3 out of 4 us still saw deer everyday and all of us had shot ops/missed except one guy who didn't hunt long, just hung out at the truck mostly. So even when it is bad, it is still pretty good. Most of the big boys were not moving in the heat though, only one P&Y was killed and right at dark.Driving back at night we saw some monsters.
Hopefully an early cool front will push through for you.

Hominy is a good area. Actually it is all good. When you get out and scout it is overwhelming becaus there will be sign and trails everywhere. It is also a tough hunt, especially early season. Everybody has there favorite areas, depending on who you talk to. But is all seems about the same to me really. Talk to a white hat and they will steer you in the direction of the kind of terrain you want to hunt (thick, big trees, fields etc.).
Don't think you have to get off the road to see deer, those deer don't care about those roads at all, as normally there is hardly anyone driving them. I had a stand 50 yards from the road and saw deer everyday. They will actually walk the blacktop like a trail sometimes.

If you know how to hunt hogs (I don't) you could probably kill some easy, they are all over the place down there. Some years a dead hog or doe gets you back in on a quality pass.

It's a fun hunt just because of the atmosphere and all the wildlife. Turkeys are everywhere, as are all kinds of wildlife. If you are a turkey hunter, I'd start putting in for the spring turkey hunts there. I have never seen so many turkeys in one place.

Don't know if you have this link already or not, but it has some good pics and harvest info.
http://www.mcaapcontrolledhunts.com

Latest posts

Top Bottom