Controlled Hunts 2009

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okbowhuntr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I didn't notice this until sombody brought this to my attention.

HODDY, DENNIS E 3 - Deer Hunts 335 - McAlester AAP - Hominy - Archery (2) Only 1 Antlered 10/9/2009 - 10/11/2009

It says I drew the Hominy area? Is that good?

Yes it is especially good because you will be there a couple weeks before me and can give me the scouting report. I'll be waiting to hear how you did and hoping you got a big one. I think you will enjoy the hunt there.

Whoo hoo. And it's really great for me as I drew for the 11/13 - 11/15 hunt in the Hominy area. Any tips will be GREATLY appreciated.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah Dennis, you better hope for some cool weather. I drew in a few years ago in mid October and it was in the upper 90's, just brutal hot. Deer movement was minimal, but 3 out of 4 us still saw deer everyday and all of us had shot ops/missed except one guy who didn't hunt long, just hung out at the truck mostly. So even when it is bad, it is still pretty good. Most of the big boys were not moving in the heat though, only one P&Y was killed and right at dark.Driving back at night we saw some monsters.
Hopefully an early cool front will push through for you.

Hominy is a good area. Actually it is all good. When you get out and scout it is overwhelming becaus there will be sign and trails everywhere. It is also a tough hunt, especially early season. Everybody has there favorite areas, depending on who you talk to. But is all seems about the same to me really. Talk to a white hat and they will steer you in the direction of the kind of terrain you want to hunt (thick, big trees, fields etc.).
Don't think you have to get off the road to see deer, those deer don't care about those roads at all, as normally there is hardly anyone driving them. I had a stand 50 yards from the road and saw deer everyday. They will actually walk the blacktop like a trail sometimes.

If you know how to hunt hogs (I don't) you could probably kill some easy, they are all over the place down there. Some years a dead hog or doe gets you back in on a quality pass.

It's a fun hunt just because of the atmosphere and all the wildlife. Turkeys are everywhere, as are all kinds of wildlife. If you are a turkey hunter, I'd start putting in for the spring turkey hunts there. I have never seen so many turkeys in one place.

Don't know if you have this link already or not, but it has some good pics and harvest info.
http://www.mcaapcontrolledhunts.com

I know I'll enjoy it. I already went shopping in OKC today to pick up some items and ordered more inserts for the broadheads I'll be using.

I'm certainly no expert on the hogs, but plan to look for sign, and maybe take a bag of hog attractant to put out if its allowed. I believe we are allowed one tom turkey too. Its going to be a great hunt, take a biggun or not.:D

I've got a ground blind, and some screw-in steps with a seat to take along. From what you said, the terrain varies, and I'd like to be ready for anything.
My buddy, will probably find a shade tree, right off the road, and smoke a pack an hour. He likes to go, but doesn't want to work for it.

Thanks for the link!:D

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Speaking of the Controlled Hunts, does it bother you when people sign up and get drawn and don't go. (Emergency/health issues are excused absence) It takes away the opportunity from somebody as well as makes it more difficult for wildlife management. I think they should ban somebody from applying the next year or 2 if they are a no show when they are drawn.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Whoo hoo. And it's really great for me as I drew for the 11/13 - 11/15 hunt in the Hominy area. Any tips will be GREATLY appreciated.

I will pass on my tips to you too after I get done. I have been in Hominy before but it has been several years. I'll try to dig up an old map and show you and Dennis where I hunted. I did get a shot at a big buck and just missed him on that hunt. You guys pm me when it gets closer and I'll have some info for you.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Speaking of the Controlled Hunts, does it bother you when people sign up and get drawn and don't go. (Emergency/health issues are excused absence) It takes away the opportunity from somebody as well as makes it more difficult for wildlife management. I think they should ban somebody from applying the next year or 2 if they are a no show when they are drawn.

Sometimes life happens and you just can not go but I know exactly what you mean. I know a guy who drew an onyx tag in NM last year and used a prepaid visa card for the application that didn't have any money in it. He drew an elk tag also and decided he didn't want to spend the money on the onyx and just blew it off. It is a once in a lifetime hunt and he kept someone else from going and hosed the state of NM out of the tag fees too. He the guy who got the law changed this year that says they will charge your credit card when you are drawn before you are told that you have a tag.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Its a great idea in theory, but if a drawn hunter called in and said he was sick, they would have to send a state employee along with a doctor/ nurse to confirm the illness. Just wouldn't work

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I will pass on my tips to you too after I get done. I have been in Hominy before but it has been several years. I'll try to dig up an old map and show you and Dennis where I hunted. I did get a shot at a big buck and just missed him on that hunt. You guys pm me when it gets closer and I'll have some info for you.

Thanks! You can count on a PM.

I've logged on to the hunt reg sites, and I still have questions about the phy challenged hunt. I did find out that there is a contact number and a name, so I'll check with them.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Its a great idea in theory, but if a drawn hunter called in and said he was sick, they would have to send a state employee along with a doctor/ nurse to confirm the illness. Just wouldn't work

I guess I should have clarified. I am just saying that the sickness or an emergency is excused by me, not the state. It just bothers me that some people sign up and will go if the weather is pretty. Or just decide they have something better to do. Its just a 2 year ban from reapplying but it might make some take it a little more serious. The biggest reason these hunts are put on, is because open season in some of these areas would be an all out chaos and could put extreme pressure on game. It is a way for the state to allow hunting to aid in wildlife management.

Latest posts

Top Bottom