Convert Minor score to Major?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sed6

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
All-
I shot in the OK Sectional match using my XDm 9mm in the Limited Class, and I want to know how to convert that score to figure what I would have scored if I were in the Production class.

I'm going back and forth between the 19+1 capacity advantage but being scored at a disadvantage (5,3,3,1 vs 5,4,4,2) of the Limited Class versus 10+1, and more reloads of the Production. For the sake of argument I'm going to figure 1.5 seconds per reload and 2 additional reloads per stage.

I shot an 8 stage match so let's call that 24 additional seconds added to my time. There were 47 additional points I could have scored on B's and C's were I shooting major.

Can someone help me with the math? I have all my scores available and the scores of everyone else, I just don't know how to do it.

Here's a link to the scores, it's the first one the 2011 Limited and Production Championship, I'm shooter #26 on the overall results for Limited.

OKC Gun Club IPSC Scores

Thanks for any help!

Mitch H.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While it may take you 1.5 seconds to perform a reload, you shouldn't add 1.5 seconds per stage for your comparison. Reloads in USPSA should be done while transitioning to the next shooting position. If done this way, the difference in time is negligible as long as you can stick the reload.

G Law

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I figure a production shooter loses about 11% to a limited shooter because of minor scoring and the different way you have to shoot a stage. If you look at past scores of known shooters that is usually the way it comes out. I have heard it is about 15% between limited and open.
G

sed6

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The point about the reloads being done while on the move is something I overlooked, thanks!

10-15% in Match % you mean?

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
First of all, you were scored major when you shouldn't have been, 9mm is minor in limited no matter how you slice it.

Go to the USPSA website and look at the match scores there. It breaks down your A,B,C,D hits and you can add your points up with minor scoring. For a quick and dirty method just compare the HF you get with minor points with the HF for production and you'll see about where you placed on each stage and how many points you would have earned.

Major tends to be a 5-6% advantage over minor within the same division and I'd bet about 10% when looking at production vs. limited.

Bubber

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sed6, Don't know why you are adding time to your results to change from Minor to Major. From the results listed I only see two people scored as minor. Your score is dependant on accuracy when speaking of Minor vs Major. As Techni... suggests you need to list your hits for each stage and score appropiately. My difference in Scoring Minor Vs Major is only 02.3% with all the factors involved. I shoot Revo. I shot Major the last 6 months and there is no difference in my finish or classification averge. I am returning back to minor. Saves the wear and tear on me and my Revos. later rdd

It was late last night!!!

Last edited:

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Convert Minor score to Major?
All-
I shot in the OK Sectional match using my XDm 9mm in the Limited Class, and I want to know how to convert that score to figure what I would have scored if I were in the Production class.

First, it's Division, not Class that you're talking about. Class is how well you shoot the classifiers.

Second, your entire premise is wrong. While your absolute raw score might be better using the full mag capacity, your relative place in Limited and Production Divisions could well be the opposite. True, your raw score in Limited might be a little better, but so is everybody else's from using the fulll mag capacity. Your place in the Division is based on what the top shooters shoot in that same division, not the other divisions.

Same as NHRA car racing. You might be winning races in a lower classification, but lose your butt if your move to a different classification and go faster, because everybody else there is going faster too.

Using the same M&P Pro, my classification in Production is higher than my classification in Limited. You won't know until you shoot both and see how you do.
And as others pointed out, 9mm in limited is NOT major. If they scored you as major, that was an error.

Latest posts

Top Bottom