Cooking/Food thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some homemade sausage, egg and cheese biscuits. Low carb biscuits are not perfect yet but still better than the crap from McDonalds.

Just FYI, if you try the Carbquik mix, the regular biscuit recipe is pretty bad. No taste. Instead of water use milk or buttermilk. Cheddar biscuits are not bad.

View attachment 173935 View attachment 173936

I did try it, on your recommendation. I agree, they were... not great. The texture was more like corn muffins than biscuits and that was my thought, next to try it with milk. I didn't think of buttermilk, as we don't usually keep that around, but I will get some next time I am out at the store - after quarantine is over. <sigh>

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I did try it, on your recommendation. I agree, they were... not great. The texture was more like corn muffins than biscuits and that was my thought, next to try it with milk. I didn't think of buttermilk, as we don't usually keep that around, but I will get some next time I am out at the store - after quarantine is over. <sigh>

If you get the powdered buttermilk you can mix up as much as you want and it will last a long time. I only use it for cooking so that is what I use. The plain milk is a step up but still to much like Bisquick for me. Next batch will be buttermilk or add some cheese in.

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Seemed like a good day to make some Tortilla Soup! Hope y'all can smell it!

IMG_1943.JPG

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I"m thinkin' this week is chili weather, about.

Me, too! However, Cindy doesn't eat beef, and turkey isn't quite the same in my chili. Also, doing chili in a small batch hasn't seemed to work out as well (when I make it for myself only).

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

The milk really helps the flavor, but it still has the drop biscuit texture. I think you would need to roll the dough out and fold several times to get the flaky biscuit texture.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
The milk really helps the flavor, but it still has the drop biscuit texture. I think you would need to roll the dough out and fold several times to get the flaky biscuit texture.

Yeah I don't see me going to that trouble. lol

On a brighter note, threw a pork but on the Traeger a little bit ago.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah I don't see me going to that trouble. lol

On a brighter note, threw a pork but on the Traeger a little bit ago.

Me either. I can deal with drop biscuit texture just fine if it means I can eat biscuits again. They are pretty good with some sausage gravy. I use Pioneer Biscuit Gravy mix for the little lower carbs but add real sausage.

Latest posts

Top Bottom