Cooking/Food thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some baby back ribs going on
20210207_114235.jpg

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
So all the beans and cornbread inspired me last night to do something along those lines...

I had to use Shawnee Mills cornbread mix (not Jiffy!), so I added in buttermilk instead of regular milk and then the eggs and some sour cream to help with moisture (it does!). Then about a pound of chunks of cheese, cheddar and pepper jack. I'm always disappointed in pepper jack... no matter where I get it, it's so mild you can't even taste the peppers in it. I found some habanero jack somewhere once, now that had some pepper flavor!

Anyways, I digress... back to the cornbread. Cast iron skillet, of course, preheated in the oven, of course. Put a half stick of butter in and let it melt good, brushed it up around the sides of the pan, then poured in the batter and back into the oven. Came out pretty good, sprinkled some more cheddar on top the last couple of minutes:

20210211_192653-X4.jpg

You can see where the chunks of cheese (about 1/4-3/8") made delightful chewy salty sections in there!):

20210211_193403-4K.jpg

And the whole meal with some cowboy beans made with sausage and leftover cut up ribeye cap steak chunks from the other night - pictures of that above, too.

20210211_193516-4K.jpg

Sorry, @druryj, I had to use a mix, but as you can see, I definitely didn't stick with the mix alone. I always like to add some stuff in to add flavor and texture.

Latest posts

Top Bottom